1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Plzhelp9, May 17, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Plzhelp9

Plzhelp9 Thread Starter

Not tech sawy, i have an asrock fatalyity b150 gaming 4k Motherboard, and would like to max it out for gaming. Can anyone recommend a CPU and GPU for upgrade, i have a Radeon RX 460 4Gb and an Intel i5-6500 3.20 Ghz

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

ASRock Fatal1ty B150 Gaming K4
    That motherboard supports the use of a 6th or 7th generation Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processor.
    HERE is the list of Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processors it supports.
    HERE is the list of BIOS updates.
    Depending on which BIOS version your gaming computer currently has, and depending on which processor you want to upgrade to, you may need to update the BIOS first.

That motherboard supports up to 64 GB(16 GB X 4) of DDR4-2133 RAM.
    How much RAM does your gaming computer currently have?

Your gaming computer should have a quality power supply with sufficient wattage.
    What brand name and model number and wattage is the one currently in it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Plzhelp9 likes this.
  3. Plzhelp9

Plzhelp9 Thread Starter

https://imghostr.com/nY02PND3
    Its a 1000w Power Supply, will check the brand!
    I think the Rams are Corsair, not sure...
    Which CPU would u recommend?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your webpage link didn't work for me, so I don't know what's in it.

Your gaming computer currently has a "Skylake S" model which uses 65W of power.
    This processor near the top of the list is the same model and uses the same wattage and is about 38% faster.
    cpu2.JPG

Just for your information, I've never upgraded a processor, so one of the hardware/gaming experts here may recommend a different one.
    Whatever you decide to do, good luck on your hardware upgrading.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The fastest cpu you can install is the 7700k however do understand that your motherboard is not designed for gaming or overclocking. The B chipset is a business chipset and as such does not support overclocking. To achieve a high level of performance ALL of the parts in a system need to work together. When you install a high end processor in a motherboard that does not fully support all of the features, it is analogous to installing a high performance cam in an econobox car. It will work however it will never work well.
    Here is a link to the cpu support page for your board;
    https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty B150 Gaming K4/#CPU
    You can see what cpus are supported. In addition to use the 7xxx series processors, you will probably need a bios update. While updating a bios is not difficult, be sure you read and fully understand the flashing procedure.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice