1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware Wizard can no longer recognize new devices

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mitch-, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mitch-

Mitch- Thread Starter

Hardware Wizard can no longer recognize new devices
    Dell Vostro 1500 Laptop
    XP SP3 with all updates since

The Hardware Wizard can no longer recognize new devices that I plug into the USB ports or XD/SD Card Reader slot. The message is:

"There was a problem installing this hardware.
    An error occurred during the installation of the device.
    The data is invalid"

I probably screwed up a driver somewhere along the way. Examples of hardware that it can't identify are a new Garmin GPS or a Logitech Wireless Mouse.

It DOES work okay when I plug in devices that it had seen before like the Targus Wireless Mouse or a SanDisk Extreme MicroMate or an SD card. Anything that it has seen prior to some unknown event it seems to work okay.

I have run all the diagnostics that came with the computer and all is okay. I just don't want to pay Dell to tell me what's wrong when they won't guarantee the fix.

I would rather not reload the OS as I have a lot of stuff on here that dates back to the DOS days and I'm not sure I know how this stuff works anymore (grep for example).:p

Note: I also posted this on the HArdware Forum

2. Megabite

Megabite

Did it use to recognise the Garmin GPS or a Logitech Wireless Mouse

3. Mitch-

Mitch- Thread Starter

No because I had never plugged them in before. It does recognize devices that I had plugged in before.

4. Megabite

Megabite

What is the model of the Logitech wireless mouse and the Garmin GPS?

5. Mitch-

Mitch- Thread Starter

I have two Garmin GPS: 665 and 265
    Logitech Mouse was taken back.
    It makes no difference however I was just giving them as examples. Anything I plug in that it had not seen before some unknown date, does not work.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!