1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardwired security while still using wireless WiFi?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by dutchboy125, Feb 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dutchboy125

dutchboy125 Thread Starter

I have an opportunity to work at home for a large company, but they are asking me to use an ethernet cable to hook up my computer to the router and turn off the wireless signal while I'm working. That means the rest of my family won't be access the WiFi for 8-9 hours every day, from early afternoon to late evening (1-9). Is there any way around this without having to get another internet provider? Could I come up with some kind of firewall or something? Any suggestions welcome!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

You can add another non Wi-Fi router to the main router and use that secondary router. Then your family can use W-Fi on the main router. And your secondary router will be firewalled from the main router.

zebanovich and dlipman like this.
  3. jtbishopjr13

jtbishopjr13

Disable the wi-fi card with through the device manager. Toggle the radio button if your PC has one. Your LAN adapter is still functional although any Bluetooth peripherals would not connect in airplane mode or radio button toggled off.

4. aomdmm

aomdmm

If the company concern is a broadcast signal that can be hijacked by someone nearby then disabling the wifi on the device won't do any good if he's still wired into the same router that is still broadcasting a signal...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice