Solved Harm to USB drives

aussiehat

On about 8 May'21, at the following Web address, I downloaded a free program to duplicate a bootable thumb drive:

https://www.ubackup.com/clone/how-to-copy-usb-to-usb-3889.html . The address was provided as the second result of a Google search "copy a bootable USB to another USB".

The result of running the downloaded program [AOMEIBackupperStd.exe] was that each of two different brand thumb drives that I tried to put copies on stopped working in exactly the same way: when inserted into a USB port, I get the message that it must be formatted before it can be used, then Windows refuses to format it. What's worse, the program wiped out the valuable contents of the drive I was trying to duplicate! That drive itself seems to be OK, but it is empty. I may be able to retrieve files on it with a restore utility, which I'll try, but it may not work again as a bootable drive.

What I want to know is if a drive made inoperable as I've described can be restored to operating condition.

Two things for Google and others to consider about what happened:

1. I found it unusual that their instructions about installing and running their program said to insert the two (source and destination drives) *before* installing the program. But, on second thought, the suspicion this raised that the installing program was what did the bad deed rather than the program itself doesn't seem to hold up considering that a second thumb drive was rendered inoperable just by running the program (and not the installer) after inserting the source and destination drives, though even this seems a strange order of program operation compared to many I've experienced.

2. When I uninstalled the program, I got the familiar question from them on the Net as to why I was uninstalling. I gave a complete description of what happened and hoped they would contact me about it. They did not contact me yet--it's now two or three days later, at least. I'm guessing they won't, but will keep hoping for a while.

3. Perhaps Google should consider investigating the program involved in this incident.

Couriant

James
No problem. If the drive starts to show that message more often, it may be failing rather than a corrupt boot/file system.

aussiehat

Could it be just that I was running Win 7 at the time? I suppose the inner workings of USB drives weren't as well taken care of in Win 7 as in later versions of Windows, but it's still surprising to me that it looks like I would have been alright if I had been using Win 8 or 10. At least now, with Couriant's advice, I can experiment with the program (I still have the installer for it) and not be very concerned about this happening again to a destination drive since I can recover from that pretty easily. Thank you for giving me the motive to give the program another shot (using Win 10 at least) for future purposes.

aussiehat

No problem. If the drive starts to show that message more often, it may be failing rather than a corrupt boot/file system.
There were two drives that got corrupted in the same way, apparently, from all outward indications. And they were virtually new as I hadn't used them much at all. Also they were from well-known brand names, Kodak and Lexar. However, I did have a bit of trouble with the Kodak years ago, but it seemed to have been fixed by different attempts at, and types of, formatting.

Couriant

James
I meant in general use, not just from the software you originally had the issue with.

aussiehat

I meant in general use, not just from the software you originally had the issue with.
Point taken. Now just one more question: I'm tempted to click the Mark Solved button, but would that close the thread and prevent further comments?

Couriant

James
No, only a period of inactivity will auto close the thread but we can always reopen it for you if you need us to. The solved button is to alert users that you don't need more assistance, since it's now 'solved'. :)

aussiehat

No, only a period of inactivity will auto close the thread but we can always reopen it for you if you need us to. The solved button is to alert users that you don't need more assistance, since it's now 'solved'. :)
Thanks, I'll click it now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts