Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Has my graphics card died?

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
Hello,
Earlier today I was simply reading a web page on my computer when all of a sudden it froze, many vertical strips of Horizonta lines appeared on my screen and so I turned off my computer. I turned it back on and the display seemed fine until the 'Starting Windows' message appeared when the lines then came back. This had not happened before.

I custom built my PC in may where everything was new apart from my graphics card (NVidia GeForce 9600 GSO) and my 600w psu. I have had my graphics card for a few years now (4 years) and so I am pretty confident that my graphics card has reached the end of its life. The psu is around 9 months old.

I tried to connect another monitor to the PC however the lines were even worse on the monitor making everything unreadable. I then reseated my graphics card and when I connected my original monitor back in nothing now displays. The screen is just black (standby). The graphics card also makes quite a bit of noise in comparison to the rest of the PC too. When the PC is turned on all the hardware and fans are working fine, the fan on the graphics card still runs too.

Is it a case of simply getting a new graphics card?
Thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi Sketzii

O.k, that's good. That at least eliminates any other hardware issues. I know you're probably going to cringe when you read this, but until you can aquire a new Graphics card, it may be a case of having to use onboard graphics.

Sorry Sketzii, but that's your only option at this point.

Good luck with it, and thanks for posting on Techsupportguy

#7 ·
Hello, a couple of weeks ago I created a thread about whether my graphics card has died. Here is my original post
"Hello,
Earlier today I was simply reading a web page on my computer when all of a sudden it froze, many vertical strips of Horizonta lines appeared on my screen and so I turned off my computer. I turned it back on and the display seemed fine until the 'Starting Windows' message appeared when the lines then came back. This had not happened before.

I custom built my PC in may where everything was new apart from my graphics card (NVidia GeForce 9600 GSO) and my 600w psu. I have had my graphics card for a few years now (4 years) and so I am pretty confident that my graphics card has reached the end of its life. The psu is around 9 months old.

I tried to connect another monitor to the PC however the lines were even worse on the monitor making everything unreadable. I then reseated my graphics card and when I connected my original monitor back in nothing now displays. The screen is just black (standby). The graphics card also makes quite a bit of noise in comparison to the rest of the PC too. When the PC is turned on all the hardware and fans are working fine, the fan on the graphics card still runs too.

Is it a case of simply getting a new graphics card?
Thanks."

I got a new graphics card however after I have installed it the monitor is still blank. I tried switching VGA cables but it is still blank, I have reseated the RAM but it is still blank and I have no more ideas left. Would anyone possibly know how to get my monitor to display again? I switched monitors but it is still blank. Thanks. (My new graphics card is a Nvidia Zotac GTX 550 TI Amp!)

#9 ·
I've merged your two threads together, best to continue with the original thread as its a continuation of the problem.

Please post the complete and exact specs of all the hardware in the system.

Also try re-seating the RAM sticks or trying the RAM sticks one at a time.

Also, try another power supply if you have access to another working computer.

#13 ·
I am pretty sure it is not my graphics card has it stopped displaying with my old card and my new one still won't display anything. Everything in my PC was new since may, apart from my PSU which a family member bought for me in February (for a low price - £20) and my graphics card was a few years old.

CPU - Core i3 3.1Ghz
PSU - Storm 650W (not 80+ as far as I can tell)
Video - Nvidia Zotac GTX 550 ti Amp!
RAM - 4gb
Motherboard - Asus P8p67
Harddrive - 1tb

All my fans work when turned on with proper circulation. The heat sink and fan attached to my CPU works as well as my video card
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.