1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Has my Hard Disk Failed?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eboninferno, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eboninferno

eboninferno Thread Starter

I think my hard disk might have failed. I'm not sure. This is what happened.
    One day, my computer started disk checking after booting. After disk checking I noticed some files missing
    and used System Restore, everything was back to normal after that for about a day. My computer started to slow
    later and then it crashed. After that it could not boot. It always restarted when trying to boot. Then the
    next day disk checking was performed when I booted it and it worked for a while until it crashed again. This
    happened about 3 times.
    Later I either got a stop error when I selected 'disable automatic restart on system failure' but i was
    able to use safe mode. A short while later even safe mode didn't work.
    Either the screen remained blank whenever I pressed F8 or I got the error "Failed to load operating
    system" or the error "Disk Error Occured".

I decided to install a fresh copy of xp. I formatted it and reinstalled. After that I still got the message
    "Failed to load Operating System" so I installed xp on my D: hard drive and evrything worked fine.
    Right now I have xp and some other files on my D: and on my C: WIndow and a few other files I put on it.
    When I boot my computer it gives me the option of selecting from 3 copies of "Micorosft WIndows XP" One
    of them is the D: one.

Right now when I tried to boot I got "Failed to Load Operating System" error again. When I unplugged my
    computer and replugged it, i was prompted for disk checking, skipped and it worked fine again.

So, I'm wondering if this is because my hard disk failed or for some other reason. If my hard disk did fail
    then do I have to remove it from my computer or do I just have to leave it empty and not use it?

2. Syst3mSh0ck

Syst3mSh0ck

Yes it could be failing, what make is the drive, it is best to get the manufacturers diagnostic utilities and run them as they can mask some of the bad sectors sometimes. Also you could try writing zero's to the drive using Darik's Boot and Nuke from HERE.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/910212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice