1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Has my monitor died?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ClayInfinity, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ClayInfinity

ClayInfinity Thread Starter

OK, we had an electrical storm at home and powered my PC down. Being an idiot, I didnt unplug it from the wall.

Went to turn PC on and it seemed to reboot fine with the exception the monitor (a Viewsonic VX724 iirc - its a 17" LCD) didnt boot up. The light was blinking yellow at me.

I swapped in my old CRT and I realised that whilst the computer was whirring away, it was failing to boot up and wanted me to reboot from my "Last Known Good Configuration". When selected, it didnt help and even Safe Mode wouldnt work. The thing kept trying to reboot every 30 secs with no success.

I suspected storm damage and rang my local PC shop where I bought the system back in late December (ie its a brand new system).

The techie there agreed with me, lectured me on unplugging from the wall (although he said surge protection is not 100% guarenteed) but said he'd do a full diagnostics to make sure nothing was wrong and fix it for me.

I rang the next day for an update on progress and he said I didnt have storm surge damage but rather that I had LimeWire installed and that I caught malicious spyware / malware / viruses that killed my Windows XP. I was surprised at this as I have been a longtime LimeWire user and had only used it once on the new machine.

He lectured me long and hard about video piracy *yawn* and then said he'd need to reinstall Windows etc etc. Which he did.

Get the box back home and the monitor is still not working although the system is working fine through the old CRT.

So... is my monitor dead from storm damage? Is it possible that spyware from LimeWire did do the damage and killed my monitor?

Is it possible to fix my monitor at all without taking it back to the PC shop? I should point out the LCD isnt new, I have had it about 18mths and bought it online, not from the shop so no warrenty issue.

Any ideas? All the online help from Viewsonic mentions red lights / orange lights but not blinking yellow lights.

Many thanks!

Clay

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

It's likely dead. If the circuit board got nailed, it's probably not fixable.
    Try it on another computer and see if there is any difference.

BTW, he's right about Limewire. Less about piracy than it is about the sheer insanity of opening your machine up to the world on a wide scale LAN. That's the best virus spreading tool there is.

3. ClayInfinity

ClayInfinity Thread Starter

What if it works on another PC?

I will try this out over the weekend, but if it works elsewhere what would that mean??

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

If it works on another PC then you have a video card or motherboard issue. It will mean that you may have not gotten out of that lightning strike like you thought.

I would bet that it won't, though, if a CRT works on it. Since monitors are self-powered, if one works, they theoretically should all work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice