1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Has The Hard Drive In My Laptop Gone South?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flavallee, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Frank
    While I was running a scan with Ad-Aware in my HP N5495 laptop, it started making a "tick tock" sound. A blue screen than appears and advised that a problem had occurred and that Windows had been shut down to prevent further damage. The following lines were among the message:

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

STOP: 0x00000077, (0xC000000E, 0xC000000E, 0x00000000, 0x00F39000)

It then started doing a memory dump, but froze up at 39%.

I did a hard shutdown and then restarted. A black screen appeared with 2 lines of gibberish and a flashing cursor underneath.

I did another hard shutdown and restarted. Windows loaded normally this time, but as soon as I clicked the Start menu to select a program, everything froze up.

All subsequent hard shutdowns and restarts caused nothing but the gibberish and flashing cursor to appear.

Has the hard drive in my laptop finally gone south? :( :confused:

2. dna2005

dna2005

I had a problem like this on an old system and it turned out to be the death throws of the drive, I let it cool down and managed to retreive the info.

Hope this helps.................

3. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I had this same problem occur a couple of weeks ago, but it's been running fine since then. I've even burned off several programs to CD-R's. It just started doing it again this morning. This laptop is a little over 3 years old, so it's probable that the hard drive has decided to retire. :(

4. dna2005

dna2005

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Normally, that sound is the Click Of Death for the hard disk. If it's working, I'd get everything of value off now. :)

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Each time I start up now, a black screen appears and states that Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

It then advises me to boot from the Windows XP CD and attempt a repair.

I change the BIOS boot order so that it would boot from the CD.

Once I boot from the CD and select the repair option, the following appears:

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto?

1: C:\WINDOWS

After I type in 1 and press Enter, the following appears:

C:\WINDOWS>

I type in help to see the list of command options. I see nothing that tells me how to start the repair process. I type in chkdsk and press Enter. After a few seconds, it advises me that everything appears okay. From that point, I am lost, so I type in exit and press Enter and exit.

What now? :confused:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice