1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Have a 20 gig drive showing only 2 gigs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JareemWeaver, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JareemWeaver

JareemWeaver Thread Starter

A week ago I got the blue screen of death and had to reformat my hard drive and start from scratch. My buddy did everything for me, however I just noticed that I'm almost out of hard drive space cuz its saying I only have a 2.0 gig hard drive when I have a 20 gig drive. Is there anything he could have done to screw this up and is there anything I can do to fix it. I would really appreciate any help someone could offer me.

2. Party Boy

Party Boy

You need to repartition your hard disk using the FDISK command from DOS (if you're not running XP that is)

1. Insert Windows 95/98/ME CD and restart PC

2. You will see 2 options highlight Boot from CD ROM and press enter
    (use the arrow keys on your keyboard)

3. You will see 3 options highlight Start Computer with CDROM Support and press enter

4. When you see a black screen with a A:\_ prompt type in these commands:

fdisk <press enter>

you will be taken through a series of options, press 1 if it is a numbered option or press Y for yes if it is a Yes/No question. So you only need to press 1 and Y.

That should do it :)

3. JareemWeaver

I got to the menu you talked about by using my windows boot-up disk and making my floppy drive my primary boot device. It wasnt working using just my windows 98 cd.I followed your directions from there but on the last question it wouldnt let me create one because one already exists. I don't think I should delete it first cuz that would delete everything on my drive right? Let me know if you think i may have done something wrong ot if ya got somethin else for me to try. I'm up for any suggestions

4. Party Boy

Party Boy

Well if you don't want to delete what you already have you can just create an extended DOS partitionm in FDISK using the rest of the disk space available, you will then have to operate on 2 partitions.

Otherwise you have to start again I'm afraid

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are using 2 gigs of a 20 gig drive because it was partitioned using FAT16 rather than using FAT32. If you do not mind having two partitions, you can create an extended partition using fdisk. If you want to have just one partition on your disk [and you do not want to reinstall], then you will need a third party program such as partition magic.
    To create an extended partition;
    boot with your win9x bootdisk, type fdisk at the A>, answer yes when it asks to enable large disk support, you will have a menu choose create partition, choose create extended partition, choose use all of the space.
    Once that is done you will need to create a logical drive within the extended partition. Again use all of the space unless you want more than 1 logical drive. After you are done with that it will ask you to restart. Restart with your computer with your bootdisk in the a drive. Now you can format your logical drive. Once formatted you can use the partition to copy files, install programs etc.
    After you are all done with this I would convert your FAT16 partition to FAT32 using the converter that is built into win9x.

If you are not comfortable working with cmd prompts, I would get someone to do this for you or purchase PM. PM can do this from within windows and it is pretty easy. One last thing anytime you mess with partitions, backup anything you do not want to lose. Almost always there is not a problem, however having a backup will not hurt.

6. JareemWeaver

Ok, I'm pretty proud of myself, by the time I read the last message I had already created another partition and formattedand everything seems to be working fine-got 18 gigs on the new partition. However I'm not understanding about converting the FAT 16 to FAT 32 I think it was. Could you give me a step-by-step on how to do that. And what exactly does that accomplish again? And if i use partition magic could I just combine the 2 partitions back into one. i don't see why that should be a problem unless there are common filenames. I havent put 2 much on the new partition yet. Thanks for the replies guys.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have not used a win9x os in quite a while so this is from memory. Go to my computer and right click the “c” drive > properties. It should say what file system you are using. If it is fat16, go to system tools and you should see fat32 converter click on that and follow the prompts. Fat32 is faster than FAT16 and does not have the 2 gig limitation. As to using PM yes you can combine both partitions and you can also use PM to convert to FAT32.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice