1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Have a serious network adapter problem...need help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thebigrussian, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thebigrussian

thebigrussian Thread Starter

OK well i have a Dell 3.2ghz with 1gb ram and a geforce 6800. My network adapter is a PRO/1000 PL network connection. After the computer has been on for a couple of hours, something happens to it. All of a sudden the internet stops working. Whenever i try to run a program that connects to the internet (an online game) it has a message saying not enough buffer space avaliable. Then if i try to run the taskmanager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) a message pops up saying the program failed to initilize 0x00000017. Now for some reason everything on the computer has an error message. Now to make the computer act normal i have to disable the network adapter...this makes the computer act normal again. So something is wrong with the network adapter and it is causing my computer and internet to malfuntion...i dont know what. I checked on the intel website but it had nothing on the PRO/1000 PL! What is wrong? It is very frustrating. Right now the only way to fix it when the network adapter does this is to restart the computer...but i lose all of my work everytime! i REALLY need to find a solution and to fix this problem.

2. thebigrussian

BUMP...cant any1 help me out?

3. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

what happens if you disable this device, and try to use a seperate NIC

4. thebigrussian

If i disable this device then all the programs and the taskmanager start to work again. Whats a NIC and how can i use it seperatly?

5. rolandk10

rolandk10

A NIC is a network card. Basically, he's asking you to try a diffierent network card than the one that is integrated onto your board. You can buy them at a pc store for around $20 or so. Disable the one you have, and install a new one in your pc and that should solve the problem.

I, however, would first try to diagnose the drivers. In the control panel, select system. click the hardware tab, then device manager. locate the network adapter and uninstall it. close and reboot. Let windows re-install the driver. the odds of this working are about 40% but it's worth a try as it takes about 5 minutes.

Next thing if that doesn't work , if you can get online, try to find an updated driver at the intel website. If they don't list one, run windows update in custom mode and see if it finds a new driver.

If these two options fail, the most hassle free fix would be easy_target's suggestion to try a different NIC.

6. pugmug

pugmug Banned

What Dell make and model do you have?

7. thebigrussian

I have a Dell XPS 400.

Ive tried to uninstall the card and restart the computer...no luck. It still does it. I could try to do it again although i doubt it will have results. And there seems to be no support for this card on the Intel website. The automatic update doesnt find anything...Is my only option to buy a new network adapter?

8. rolandk10

rolandk10

There are seven layers to a network. If i remember, it's 3 software and 4 hardware. The problem could be in any layer. Changing your card is not the only option but probably the easiest.

9. pugmug

pugmug Banned

What do the dio. lights on the back show when it is screwing up?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice