1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Have gone DSL and wireless?????

Discussion in 'Networking' started by philherb, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philherb

philherb Thread Starter

I went dsl and then got a wireless linksys router ie: earlier post and answer from JohnWill and then borrowed a friends brand new Netgear WG111T usb 2.0 wireless card utility that I plugged into the back of my laptop usb port and could take the laptop all around the house wirelessly. I then went online to buy my own usb adapter as I read reviews that the netgear one was a piece of junk, besides it was not mine to keep. Anyhow purchased a SanDisk Cruzer Titanium usb flash drive, NOW I FIND OUT this is totally the wrong thing and I cannot return it to ecost.com because I opened it but cannot even use it. What do I want??????????????????? to replace the Netgear item that worked fine, a thing that sticks out the back of one of the usb plugs or is a wireless card the same thing ??????? I am a first time user( my term for not a very knowledgable techie at ALL) All I want to do is to get my laptop out of this cold bedrooom to use it in a warm part of the house with no wires attached, I would also like to use it wirelessly when I travel to work sites but REALLY don't have a CLUE how that would work if I don't even know how to do it in my own house. The lodge I am cooking at these days has dsl and even a wireless router some guests bought and left there, though it isn't hooked up or installed to anything.
    Thanks for any and all knowledgable input, I apppreciate all of your comments,
    Philherb

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

What you want is a "USB wireless network adapter"

3. philherb

philherb Thread Starter

Dear Stumped Techy,
    what do you think of getting one of these in a Linksys brand since the router is a linksys and so far there is no security able to set and where to buy it and which model? Please help this ole lady, I'm ready to pitch the whole idea out with the cow slop here in rural Montana.
    Thanks for any and all knowledgable help and comments,
    Philherb

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If you want to go linksys go with -

WUSBF54G

This USB wireless adapter is a wireless G and should work with your router... if you post the model of router I'll verify this with that but I am sure this will work in most cases.

5. philherb

philherb Thread Starter

It is the WRT54GC linksys wireless router

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice