1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Have I been duped? "HP" tech took control of my computer..

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by migolfergirl, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. migolfergirl

migolfergirl Thread Starter

I am kicking myself black and blue. I think I feel for a big scam. And I'm so worried about what info he might have stolen or what malware he might have loaded onto my machine...

I had deleted all my HP drivers and software and was looking for the correct driver with Win10. A chat window opened up at the bottom right corner and a gal asked if I needed help. I told her my printer model # and what I was trying to do, and she said she wanted to connect me with an HP tech to make sure this was all done correctly. In minutes, my phone was ringing from a 404 area code, and the East Indian guy said he was an HP tech. He had me install the Go To Assist app, and he took control of my computer. He looked at a few things and then enter a cmd prompt. It opened a black box and showed the outline of my C drive. At the bottom it said something about DRIVE INFECTED TROJAN csrss.exe.

Something felt off, so I disconnected him, and looked up csrss.exe Not sure if it's really a bad file or not.

REGARDLESS, I'm wondering if I should do a full clean to make sure my machine isn't infected. OH, and he also said that 60% of my processes were stopped, which he said was a big problem. I have no idea if that is right or not...

HELP! Can someone take a look and help me run some malware and anti-virus scans?

Anything else??

THANK YOU! You guys are the only ones I trust.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice