Have I Bought A Bad Egg / Laptop...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ABSTRAX

LOL... well, I bought it new, its not so much have I bought a bad laptop in the 'I bought it second hand off E-Bay and now that bargain is coming back to haunt me' sense, its more along the lines of everything seems to be going wrong with it...

Now, admittedly it is my first laptop but I'm a veteran of the desktop PC and in all honesty I can't see why there would be too great a difference between them, so let me fill you in on the detail, and why I think its a bad egg...

1. I've had the laptop for under 30 days... bought as a Christmas present...

2. The laptop is listed as having 64MB of shared Video Memory, expandable to 128MB [which I've still not figured out how to do!], yet when it came to running a game which required 64MB of Video Memory as a pre-install condition, I was told I wasn't able to install the game as I only had 60MB of video memory...

3. Running AIDA32, my two RAM sticks are recognised as 512MB each... yet when it comes to the overview screen which totals the RAM, it tallys to 1014MB, instead of 1024MB...

4. I've been unable to play Counter-Strike from it... it runs I might enjoy one game, then I'm cut down by the now infamous WSAEINTR error... its commonly attributed to some defect in the Winsock area but the speculative remedies I've tried have failed to rectify the problem

5. As of today, my HD appears to be failing... it was a very sudden thing... had no troubles up to this point, but earlier today I was watching an .avi stored on my HD and at a couple points the sound became rather bitty... I ran a game afterwards which had previously ran fine and the system seemed to be struggling to cope with its requirements... exited to see if I had inadvertantly left something in place which was zapping my RAM, I found nothing then I was hit with one of those Blue screens which reported a Critical Error and forced me to unclip my battery to get a restart... now ever since restarting XP takes FOREVER to load up from the boot screen and when it gets to the 'Welcome' screen and the .wav plays it is all broken up as if its unable to be read from the HD... if I run games then things like the sounds on them experience the same break ups, and the game is unable to run smoothly... now I can hear that faint clicking noise that I've had when previous desktop HDs have failed on me, and that falls in line with the super-extended boot up time I'm experiencing...

6. Burning DVDs off from the laptop... struggles... its an 8 speed Dual Layer drive, and when it comes to burning off a DVD which is stored as an .img on my HD, the quoted time will be something like 5 / 6 min, but it then manages to go on burning for 11 minutes or so... could that have been an early sign of my HDs demise?

7. As a last point, the laptop was a customer return but for the reason that they realised it wouldn't meet their demands for a gaming machine very shortly after buying it... I know they're all minor points but culmulatively and given whats happened they've been given a little more significance...

Should I be taking this back to the store and asking for a replacement given that it was purchased on 23rd December, or am I resigned to dealing with Gateway who manufacture the laptop? Also, do any of the problems listed above really indicate where a specific problem lies?

Responses are much appreciated!!!

Most vendors have a 14 day return policy on computer equiptment. However since your pc was purchased during christmas season the vendors often times extend their return policy to 30 days depending on store. Just say it was a gift. I would most definately return it however new machines should not act that way and you should not have to deal with that.

dustyjay

Jay
Retrun it definitely. It should have come with everything working correctly. BTW you would change your video ram in your bios. But that is niether here nor there. If it is defective, return it for replacement. If the store wont accept it as out of their replacement policy time period, you may have to go to Gateway to RMA it. There are some good reasons to occasionally opt for the retailers extended coverage policy. While it may cost you an extra $20 or $30, you would be able to have the store replace it usually for up to a year after purchase.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts