1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Have I fried my motherboard??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kissaten, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kissaten

kissaten Thread Starter

Hi
    hopefully this is in the right forum.
    Basically my pc crashed after I tried using an overclocking tool, Windows will not load past its loading bar and wont even boot from disc. However, I can get windows to work in safe mode.

The overclock was a small one and one that i had working perfectly from manual bios tweaking. The only difference was that I had just tried to use asus's Vturbo tool instead.
    I'm a little worried i may have overvolted something.
    (have tried memtest + prime 95 allready and gotten good results)

If anyone has any ideas or has experianced this before please help.

Kissaten

Hardware:asus p7p55d-e lx, I5 750, 4gb ddr3 @1333

EDIT: have gotten working with only 3gb it dosnt seem to want to work with 4gb(tested all sticks individually seem fine)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, there is always a chance of damaging hardware when you overclock. That is why I tell people that there is NO safe overclock and do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace.

Have you tried clearing RTC for your board?

3. Jim_Brumbaugh

Jim_Brumbaugh

Have you loaded default setting in the BIOS? When you tried to overclock the system, did you do this with the ASUS utility in Windows? If so you probably corrupted so system files and either repairing the OS or re-installing the OS should fix this. No, you did not damage your motherboard. It would take a lot more to do that. Yes, you can damage hardware by overclocking but it would have to be more than using the ASUS utility.

I hope this helps.

Jim

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Actually there is more of a chance of damaging hardware by using the AI or other auto overclocking options in the bios than there is by manually overclocking. The reason is that auto often uses a vcore or voltage increase. Upping vcore carries a real risk of problems.
    One of the reasons I always tell people that IF you are going to overclock, then you do so manually in the bios. Then test with prime95 or occt after each change in bios settings ie fsb or multi.

This is why overclocking voids any warranty.

For the original poster; you have not answered if you have cleared RTC or cmos.

5. Jim_Brumbaugh

Jim_Brumbaugh

I totally agree with you on the AI overclock utility crjdriver, so I was a little presumptuous on that comment. People might think since it is the manufacturer's utility it should know when to stop right? hehe, very wrong. The utility is only as smart as the person using it. I don't use any utilities, all of my overclocking is done in the BIOS.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/990614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice