1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Have I killed my processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by john lund, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john lund

john lund Thread Starter

Well hello people im hoping you can help me with my on going frustration when running flight sim 2004.

It all started roughly 12+ months ago when I was mid flight, as usual and my computer just rebooted itself. I used Microsoft crash detect assistant and they said it was a conflict with my 56k modem card. I changed my card and the problem still showed it's ugly head. This time microsoft crash detect reported a driver error.

Well this continued up until 2 weeks ago when trying to resolve this problem and using flight sim forums I found someone else who had suffered from the same symptoms. It appeared to be the sound acceleration. I reduced this to standard, after purchasing 512mb ram and a new graphics card, and the problem went away.

I now have a new problem with FS2004. Firstly when I change views or start moving the aircraft on the ground it bounces a bit then stabilizes until i do it again and I get some red shapes flash on the screen to which I have been informed are called artifacts.

Well once im airborne things appear ok, still see artifacts when clouds appear etc, but instead of the computer rebooting it resets to desktop after hanging in black screen for 30 seconds. This time there is no reasons from Microsoft crash detect.

I have updated graphics driver to latest version same with audio driver. I did update bios but would like to try and return to original dispatch driver. How can I do that?

I have formatted and defraged HD and gone to bare basics. Cleaned inside of machine and temps for both processor and AGP processor stabilize around the 45 to 50 degrees.

Now im stuck please someone help me

2. colmaca

colmaca

No but you video card might be on the what out, or overheating a little!!

3. john lund

john lund Thread Starter

I have only just bought the graphics card and I have tried another one and I still get the same problems

4. colmaca

colmaca

5. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Certainly not the processor....

What does the "black box" flight recorder say after you crash? :D

(Sorry..... can't miss opportunities like this)

6. john lund

john lund Thread Starter

how do you mean. Please can you specify your meaning of black box recorder.

7. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Er...... "M.S. Flight Simulator".... you know how planes have flight recorders?

Sorry, you're probably not in the mood for levity. :(
    Shame, since it was one of my funniest puns EVER!!

8. john lund

john lund Thread Starter

Well which bit of information are you after. I can supply you with a load of hex code or do you want the basic files affected.

And no im not in the mood for levity as i have put up with this fault for the last 12 months + and i would like to resolve the problem and put it to bed.

9. steveb1492

steveb1492

Try memtest. Then if it doesnt find anything, try reinstalling the video drivers (www.nvidia.com), then reinstall flight simulator.

Do you have onnboard graphics? - If so, then see if disabling the graphics card in the bios and switching to onboard solves the problem. (Try this after the stuff above)

10. john lund

john lund Thread Starter

No i don't have on board grphics just an AGP slot. I have run memtest and let it run for 2 hours and I didn't find anyhing.

Will reinstalling flightsim after reinstalling graphic drivers do anthing different if had installed new grphics driver after intaslling flight sim.

11. john lund

john lund Thread Starter

Oh and I have found an MSI live monitor application will that help. Has anyone used it before.

12. john lund

john lund Thread Starter

Any answers

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice