1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Have I knackered my LCD monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maddarlo, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maddarlo

maddarlo Thread Starter

Last night, I managed to spill red wine down the front of my LCD monitor - on the screen itself.

Now there's a big pink streak across the bottom half of the screen and the colours below it look brighter than those above it.

Is there any cleaner I can get - or is it a lost cause?

Also, if it is, this is under a three-year warranty. Will that cover it for accidents like this?

Andy

2. maddarlo

maddarlo Thread Starter

Someone reply! Pleeeease!

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The damage will not have been done by the wine on the surface, but by any that has seeped into the gap at the bottom and is now interfering with the electronics.

It should be IMMEDIATELY powered down, disassembled and cleaned, dried and retried.

A warranty is usually for faulty goods, I simply cannot see how you spilling wine makes the goods faulty in manufacture.

Unless the warranty also covered accidental damage, but that would be uncommon for a manufacturers warranty (not uncommon for an add-on warranty perhaps)

House contents insurance would often cover it though.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    No coverage since you caused the problem and not a malfunction itself. The LCD panel is the most expensive part of a machine (including on notebooks). Manufacturers are always trying to give you the least possible warranty. Why do you think they say you need at least 6 dead pixels before it's considered under warranty?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

kiwiguy, I see that you're in New Zealand. Does your home owner's insurance allow for small claims for things such as computer parts? In the US, too many small claims can be cause for a company to drop insurance coverage completely leaving the homeowner to purchase very expensive high-risk insurance. Here, claims should only be made for catastrophic occurrences.

6. maddarlo

maddarlo Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. Is it not safe to use then? I've had it on a few hours now with no problems. Also, is it simple to clean? Is it something I could do myself - or would it need doing by a pro?

7. maddarlo

maddarlo Thread Starter

Also, if I can clean it myself, what should use? Warm, soapy water or similar?

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    In england that's not the case. You could get it replaced through your insurance. Though your premium might be higher.

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

In NZ we could easily get it replaced on house contents insurance, the excess is about NZ$100 (US$70).

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Not a matter of being "safe to use", more one of "using it causes the electronics to be permanently damaged"

But its plainly too late for that, after a few hours!

You need to really know what you are doing regarding cleaning it or its toast!

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    unless the red wine went horizontal on the screen, it means something did get some of the wine and now it's beyond repair without actually diving into it. No LCD manufacturer will warranty it or probably even won't waste any time on it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice