1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Have old software, --need a way to continue using it

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jaes, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaes

jaes Thread Starter

I have software that is on a CD-Rom for windows 3.1 or windows 95. Through the years, computers have stopped working, but I have always managed to get a new PC that still allowed me to run this old program. Currently, I have a windows 7 computer, with a virtual Windows XP mode that allows me to run this old program. However, the computer is starting to make noises ---computer person says it is only a short time before computers dies. When I asked how am I going to run my old software ---computer person said the prospects are not good --they are zero! Help, ---The computer person suggested that I simply purchase a new version of software --and problem solved. He, like most of you reading this post, see that as the simple solution. Well, not really, --I have tried four times to solve my problem by purchasing the latest software --spent over $1,200! ---Nothing comes close to my old program. So, please, put suggestions about new software aside, and give me suggestions of how to run my old program when my computer finally dies. ----Jaes.

2. Goddess-Bastet

Goddess-Bastet

First Name:
    Virginia
    There’s compatibility mode but that’s not guaranteed to work (I have an old game (Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove) which no matter what settings I choose it still doesn’t work.
    The only other option would be to find out what is making the noise & fix that - it may be the hard drive is failing.
    If you have/purchase Windows 10 Pro then this has a VM where you can run an older version of Windows if you have a valid key.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  3. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  4. jaes

jaes Thread Starter

I very much appreciate Goddess-Bastet and Johnny b taking the time to help me with my problem. ---I especially appreciate anyone avoid asking me about the type of software that I have ----and suggesting there must be a superior update. On the last point, even I can't believe that nothing has been developed to surpass the simplicity and a accuracy of my old program. I am willing to spend the money and I keep looking ---but nothing. Thanks, Jaes.

5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Time marches on.
    Apparently it simply wasn't profitable for the company that made the apps you need, to update to the newest operating systems.

Have you looked into a similar Linux application?
    If not on a Linux powered PC, there seems to be some movement in Microsoft to run Linux apps, perhaps on Win 10, in the near future.

Google is your friend :)

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Here is another option. Buy VMware Workstation. This will allow you to run a virtual machine running Windows XP or 7. Then you don't have to worry about compatibility issues. Many businesses are virtualizing physical servers for this reason among other benefits.

Johnny b likes this.
  7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can install Oracle VirtualBox, it's free and works on any version of Windows, and then you can install whatever operating system you like inside it.

Or if you have/buy a Windows 10 Pro computer then you can use the included Hyper-V to run virtual machines just like in Windows 7 with XP Mode, but with way more settings.

VM VirtualBox: https://www.virtualbox.org/

8. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    You can buy a refurbished XP computer if you want to. They are not too expensive. I am not sure if your program may require internet connection or not.

9. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    It is rather amazing how little it costs to buy a refurb.
    The one I'm posting from is back on sale for $130 with free shipping and I'm thinking of buying another just for back up.

My most expensive cost of computing is my Internet connection.

Maybe you should ask if anyone knows of a replacement app?
    There have been lots of good suggestions on the hardware/operating system angle and probably not more available.

10. jaes

jaes Thread Starter

Again, thanks to everyone for the help. ---I've decided that a straightforward, simple, solution (and one that is not
    expensive) is to purchase a refurbished XP desktop (as suggested by you). ---I like the solution. However, when I mentioned the solution to the computer person, he said that I would be purchasing old hardware that would soon die. What do you think of his assessment? ----Actually, I am going to disregard his assessment. I am thinking if the XP refurbished fails, I'll purchase another ---and another --and another. (provided they keep selling them.) ----Thanks to all. Jaes. P.S. someone was wondering if the XP computer would be hooked to the ineternet. Answer: No.

Goddess-Bastet likes this.
  11. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    IMO, a refurbished computer of XP vintage would be old hardware and it's life span questionable.

But a newer refurbed computer, like the example I posted, an intel I5 with Win7 pro and XP mode would be considerably more current, more powerful and likely to give longer service. Of course, that depends also on the refurbisher and checking their customer reviews is important.

The deal I posted was so appealing, I ordered another one just as a spare.
    $130 delivered.

12. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you are getting refurb'd hardware, then you're buying old, used hardware. So this means any component could die at any moment. It's up to you if you want to take the risk with having down time, and having to source replacement equipment.

The solution I've provided will not expose you to any of these risks. Also the nice thing is you can move the vmdk/vmx files to another install of VMware workstation without any issues.

It's up to you. You've already spent money trying to get this to work. Spending money on a good supported solution to me is the way to go. B ut it's your money.

13. cornemuse

cornemuse

I bought this:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AM1M-S2H-rev-10#ov

A few 2-3 years ago new. I installed Win XP on it. (computer I am using right now is this mobo) Included driver disk has everything for XP. I think its discontinued now. (pressure from 'AAAOOO!!!, Werewolves of Redmond!!!')

Heres one "says brand new open box"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-A...626015?hash=item54709d8bdf:g:p~8AAOSwaLNc8oXb

Even with shipping, cheaper than I paid (Newegg)

I paid ± $30.00 mobo
    cpu (new) ± $10.00
    one 4 gig ram stick I already had
    case & psu & cdrom drv " "

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oracle Virtualbox is free, why buy more hardware?

15. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John

I was rereading this thread and got curious about your old game.

Looks like it's been updated to run on XP through Win 8

https://www.bigfishgames.com/games/5288/mystery-case-files-dire-grove/?pc

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice