1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Have some connecitivty issues here...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Magistrate, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magistrate

Magistrate Thread Starter

I am on a network... the router is BEFW11S4 and my desktop connects through it using Instant Wireless PCI Card V2.7. My problem is my connection has this strange "timeouts" or "blackouts".

When there was no router about 6 months ago my DSL worked just fine, I could download huge files and stay on online game servers for as long as I want. With the use of the router the connection started experiencing those "black outs", I used to have a much slower DSL line and the issue was really noticable back then. When I would be playing warcraft 3, for example, there would be momentary pauses during an online game lasting a few seconds every time the little connection "timout happened", but on the bright side I was able to stay on battle.net for hours if I desired without having to reconnect.

Most downloads that took more than 1 minute could also not be completed because the connection to the server timed out about every 1-1-1/2 minutes so I had to use a download manager.

Then 4 months ago I switched to a much faster DSL line, and the conenction problem became nearly unnoticable, I could play warcraft 3 games without it every pausing, but unfortunately had to reconnect to battle.net every 5 minutes. Then eventually the problem diminished for some reason, didn't get disconnected from battle.net, didn't experience pauses during games, though I still couldn't download anything that took more than 5 minutes.

Now with the new computer purchase the problem has resurfaced. Get disconnected from server every 3 minutes, router settings were not changed in any way... I can't put my finger on what is the source of the problem or how to resolve it. All 3 computers on the network have similar issues, though the older ones seem to have less of an issue than my new computer. The other 2 are connected to the router by cable, so I doubt it's any kind wirless disruption. The computers all have 3 different cards... and all experience similar problems. My best bet would be the router is the source, but how do I fix this problem and how/why did it diminish on computers as they were used more? (I'm on winXP)
    :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice