1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Have to install generic USB drivers manually

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by heyseus, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heyseus

heyseus Thread Starter

I'm having a weird sort of problem. Whenever I plug in a USB device like a mouse or USB flash drive, Windows Vista claims that it cannot find drivers for it!! I have to specify to look in the c:\windows\system32 folder (inc. sub dir) to find the generic drivers for it and it will eventually install. I know Windows XP did not prompt me to look for the drivers manually for these devices, it just installed it automatically. Like it automatically looked in the system32 folder for the drivers and installed them right away. Is this the new trend for Vista now?? I am logged in as a user with administrative rights would it need to run as administrator to work? Or is there a way to tell Vista to look in the windows\system32 folder automatically to search for USB devices? I just it's a nuissance to keep manually installing usb drivers that XP was able to install without user intervention. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Thats not normal, there's something wrong with your installation. Was it a clean install or an upgrade? Or you have installed a driver, possibly for the chipset like the NForce drivers, that have caused this behavior.

3. hopespringsanew

hopespringsanew

Oh I was told Nothing has been comptabily with Vista and those drivers youre talking about you may not be able to find until you download them from online. I had to do that for something.

4. smazumder

smazumder

I had the same problem. Reinstalled OS (Format+Reinstall)
    Looks like some software I am installing, is causing this. Unable to isolate.
    I suspect the Nokia PC Suite. Any clue?

5. RandyG

RandyG

I had the exact same problem ... uninstalled the Nokia Suite and the Bluetooth Stack for Windows by Toshiba and that solved the problem.

When I first uninstalled the Nokia Suite, I had to reinstall drivers 2 times by pointing to c:/windows/system32 every time I plugged in a USB device.

removing the Bluetooth Stack got rid of that problem.

Randy

6. FBJimmy

FBJimmy

Having installed the samsung pc suite (almost identical to the nokia one) and found that it didn't work, I uninstalled it. This has left me with usb ports, however, which don't recognise p'n'p devices (mouse, flash etc) like above. System restore doesn't want to work either.

Is there not a way to reinstall the windows generic device drivers properly? USB works fine in linux by the way.

Is an HP Pavilion DV6317eu laptop running Vista Home Premium

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Have you gone to Device Manager and removed all the USB Bubs and USB Controllers and rebooted?

8. FBJimmy

FBJimmy

I have, first time didn't help, second time the devices didn't comeback as usb root hub, but unknown devices that claim to be working correctly. They still aren't.

9. FBJimmy

FBJimmy

By the way the message I was getting when trying to do an 'update drivers' was that windows found the drivers but that the device wasn't configured correctly and gave a 'code 1'. On the Microsoft website the info for this code says again that the device isn't configured correctly. Not very useful!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/547183