1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

have to unplug the tower to shut down computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jeffersr, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeffersr

jeffersr Thread Starter

I'm having a very similar problem, and have similar system specs including the AGP nVidia and a 5-6 y/o system. Ran great until yesterday evening, but this morning it wouldnt boot up.

A little more detail about the problem on my end:
    The system's power/reset buttons do nothing. I have to unplug the tower to make it turn off.
    Monitor reads being ON, but not recieving signal.

I checked my seats, all seem set well. The CPU fan and the nVidia card fan spin, and the few lights on the main board are on, but that is the only activity inside. Neither of my two drives are spinning, the cd/dvd-roms sit dormant. I've also tried restrapping the drives to at least generate a read error, to rule out/in the HDs, but still no response from the system.

I'm going to try swapping out the nVidia card with a different (though it is slightly older) Radeon to see if I can eliminate the nVidia. Update: I installed the other card, and there was less response from the system. The CPU fan activated for a few seconds then powered down. The lights on the main board stayed on.

Any help on this topic would be most appreciated!

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

We will get you moved into your own thread as you are detracting from any help inferno could get...and you will never get a good response here.

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi jeffersr

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

I have split your post off to its own thread.
    Continue replies for this issue in this thread.
    Thank you

4. emoric

emoric

Sounds like a little psu problem to me.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are going to have to swap parts to find the problem. I would start with swapping in a known good power supply.

6. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

As above, it seems the PSU is the issue - either a rail has failed or the 5V rail is not correctly reporting and recieving the POWER_GOOD signal. Replacing the PSU should sort out all these issues, or atleast it will be a step to help problem-solve.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice