Tech Support Guy banner

Have you ever used downloading Services?

798 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  PCG342 
#1 ·
Hey every one,

Any one here bought some thing online and got to download instantly? What did you think? What did you download? Where did you download it from? How was your experience?

Well, I've done it twice and so far I'm not to fond of it.

Napster:

I got one of the those Napster cards from walmart and thought it would be cool to download music off the internet. Well, I downloaded the music, enjoyed them for the time being. Months pass I soon redo my pc. Well, little did I know I can't play the music I purchased because the license is only good for X amount of pcs and now I can't even play the music on my pc. Quite frankly this sucks. I paid for it I would like to at least play and enjoy it.

Ever since I quit using napster. After learning that my music comes with strings and I have no control over my music, well for get it.

Directsong.com
:

Just recently I picked up a copy of the video game called "Prey: The Collectors Edition." (very good game). It came with a coupon key so I could download a free copy of The prey sound track volume one. "I'm thinking right on, I get a free sound track." I register and get to the page to download the sound track. I soon found out that my music is only good on 4 pcs because of the licenses.

After both of these experiences, it makes me not want to continue using any sort of downloading services like.

1.) Ebgames.com pc game downloading service.
2.) Steam's game downloading service.
3.) direct2drive.com downloading service.

What now when ever I download a game from any of these services I can only use it on X amount of pcs? Thats why I prefer to just go to the store and buy a boxed version. (or buy it online and get it shipped to me.)

I really do like the downloading concept and getting it right now. But it sucks when I don't have 100% control over my stuff that I bought. When I buy a boxed version of a game lets say I know if I were to redo my pc I can always reinstall the game and enjoy it again.

Bigk :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Steam is fantastic. Enter the key [if you got a retail copy] or buy online, and all you have to worry about is remembering your password. You get free weekend-trials and the like, as well. I've wiped my hard drive several times and redownloaded without a problem.
Prey is Steam-friendly, if I'm not mistaken.
Oh, and it's mod-friendly.

#3 ·
PCG342 said:
Steam is fantastic. Enter the key [if you got a retail copy] or buy online, and all you have to worry about is remembering your password. You get free weekend-trials and the like, as well. I've wiped my hard drive several times and redownloaded without a problem.
Prey is Steam-friendly, if I'm not mistaken.
Oh, and it's mod-friendly.
So that means I can put my prey cd key in steam.....cool....

So steam doesn't deal with licenses? You just got to log into steam? (I own Half life 2 and use steam.)

Thank you for your time,

#4 ·
There are some limitations with purchasing content only licenses...as has been noted, the hardware specific issues. Also, keep in mind that when you purchase software -- generally, it is for a single license...for use on a single PC.

#5 ·
bigk said:
So that means I can put my prey cd key in steam.....cool....

So steam doesn't deal with licenses? You just got to log into steam? (I own Half life 2 and use steam.)

Thank you for your time,

I've had the same copy of HL2 installed on three computers - not simultaneously, mind you. Steam [as I'm sure you know] checks for CD Keys being in use before allowing you to run a game. I'm not guaranteeing anything with Prey, but I think it'll work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.