1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Have you had one like this ?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by telecom69, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Todsay I recieved this below in my email, seems there are no lengths to which the virus writers won't go,since I reckon this might be one ...

Dear Microsoft Customer,

Please notice that Microsoft company has recently issued a Security Update for OS Microsoft Windows. The update applies to the following OS versions: Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows Millenium, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista.

Please notice, that present update applies to high-priority updates category. In order to help protect your computer against security threats and performance problems, we strongly recommend you to install this update.

Since public distribution of this Update through the official website http://www.microsoft.com would have result in efficient creation of a malicious software, we made a decision to issue an experimental private version of an update for all Microsoft Windows OS users.

As your computer is set to receive notifications when new updates are available, you have received this notice.

In order to start the update, please follow the step-by-step instruction:
    1. Run the file, that you have received along with this message.
    2. Carefully follow all the instructions you see on the screen.

If nothing changes after you have run the file, probably in the settings of your OS you have an indication to run all the updates at a background routine. In that case, at this point the upgrade of your OS will be finished.

We apologize for any inconvenience this back order may be causing you.

Thank you,

Steve Lipner
    Director of Security Assurance
    Microsoft Corp.

It does have an attachment KB542662.exe (33Kb)

2. hewee

hewee

No and I would of never seen it because Microsoft does not have my email address to start with. Plus I know I would never get a email like that from them if they did have my email address.
    Plus update for Microsoft Windows 98?

Yea a experimental private version of screwing up your computer with who knows what.

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Perhaps they have had a rethink about windows 98 Harry :D;)

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

LOL

I think I deleted the same one today from my spam folder.

Didn't see the Linux update, so out it went. :D

5. hewee

hewee

Yea they need to add Microsoft Windows 3.1 and Microsoft Windows 95 to the list. :p

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice