Haven't been able to format/upgrade OS in over a year.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

deviance159

Hey guys, I'm running XP home with a raid 1+0 and installing to Home works just fine. I can format and re-do my old XP home no problem at all. The problem appears when I try to upgrade to XP Pro or anything above my current version (Being XP Home) I should also mention this is the older version of home before SP2 was integrated... not sure if that matters, the updates give you now up to SP3 but figured I should include that information.

Anyways, to give detail... doing a boot install with home, press F6... add my raid from the floppy disk for drivers and continue down the line. At the end... i should reach 1 large drive made up of 4 80Gig drives totaling around 310Gigs plus or minus. Works fine... no problems, I delete the old XP info, format and re-install good ol' home.

When trying to upgrade with anything outside of this XP home... such as going to pro, doesn't matter 32 or 64 version... I follow the proper steps as above, add my drivers, windows says that the supported drivers are newer in the install... I still use the drivers from the floppy (tried doing it with the windows supplied and the floppy drivers) it always shows 4 separate drives when reaching the final screen to delete/install new OS rather than 1 large drive.

How come on Home it works just fine? I follow the procedure, no problems... but when I try to chage OS to XP Pro it causes this situation where it shows 4 80 gig splits rather than 1 large drive? I can't seem to figure this out... and no one has given me a straight answer on the subject that was worthy of "testing". I've even collapsed and rebuilt my raid trying to figure this out on a previous format... still had to go back to XP Home :p didn't matter what I did.

Now what factors could cause this? Why is there such an issue going from Xp Home to Xp Pro with this raid? Details are below and thanks guys! :)

==========================================================

I should also mention this is IDE with a PCI raid card from SiLabs

This is the section

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/downloadresults.aspx?pid=31&bios=0&drivers=1&sataraid=0&

And this is the driver

1/24/2005 1.0.1.7 139 KB
Silicon Image SiI 0680 Ultra-133 Medley ATA Raid Controller 05/31/2002, 1.0.1.7

"pnp680r.sys"

I don't want to give much further detail just yet just in case this question is terribly hard to answer for some reason. I haven't had much luck anywhere else so... to save you guys a huge mass of text to read... maybe I can see if this is useful first... and hopefully someone gets back to me with some advice. Then I will add further details to this subject :).

(basically I don't want you guys to have to read forever - for nothing :) )

My email is [email protected] ---> Please contact me if anyone has a solution or response to this so I can come back and review it! :) thanks again!

-Aaron.

Maybe it's your PRO disc?
What exactly does it say on the disc?
I have raid on one of my PC's and Have no problems installing, it is XP Pro and I have SP-2 slipstreamed for faster setup.
Is yours sp-1 or sp-2 or OEM, system builder version, update version?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online