1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Haven't gotten the comptuer yet.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fatbobthefirst, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fatbobthefirst

fatbobthefirst Thread Starter

The Error is this.

INF txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing file. Status 14. Hit any key to
    continue. Then the computer turns off and goes back to saying the same
    thing.

They tell me they talked to Sony, and Sony says they have to get someone with a XP CD to install somewhat so they can get to the partition of the Harddrive that has the RESTORE CD's.

Can anyone explain really what needs to be done.

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Howdy fatbobthefirst ! :)

Window's setup errors usually occur due to hardware failure. That file is probably not missing or corrupt, but due to a bad memory chip, or a scratch on the CD...dust on the lens...setup is failing.

If you have a windows 2000 cd with sp2 slipstreamed...grab the W2K Service Pack 2, or applicable SP and extract and look for txtsetup.sif \i386\is = W2K Server, \i386\ia = W2K Advanced Server, \i386\ip = W2K Pro, \i386\id = W2K Datacenter Server, \i386\iw = W2K Powered.

This applied for Windows 2000 SP 4, so hopefully it will work for SP 2. Copy the txtsetup.sif according to your os into/onto the cd's i386 directory. When the setup is start it will find the txtsetup.sif and if you happen to copy it in the wrong place will still say it can't find or corrupt. you can actually try to copy it again and hit retry. If it goes and reboots, it should go into txtsetup mode part of the setup...It shouldn't complain on any of the generic drivers as the file should already be suited to your os/sp level.

If you needed to add raid drivers not included in the os/sp and/or such...you would do that before hand of course.

Corrupt SIF File
    You Receive a File Copy Error During Setup
    When you try to install Windows XP, you may receive one of the following error messages:

Setup cannot copy the file file_name. Press X to retry, Y to abort
    where file_name is the file that Setup cannot copy, or:

INF File Textsetup.sif is corrupt or missing Status 14 SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE
    This behavior may occur if any of the following conditions is true:
    Your Windows XP CD-ROM is scratched, smudged, or dirty. Clean the Windows XP CD-ROM with a soft cloth, insert it into the CD-ROM drive, and then click OK.
    Your CD-ROM drive is not working correctly or the CD-ROM might be vibrating too much for the laser to accurately read the data. For more information about this problem, consult your hardware documentation, or contact the CD-ROM manufacturer.
    If you are using multiple CD-ROM drives, your computer may be trying to locate files on the wrong drive. If your hardware has a feature to disable CD-ROM drives that are not being used, disable the CD-ROM drives that you are not using.
    Your computer is over-clocked. Because over-clocking is very memory-intensive, decoding errors may occur when you extract files from your Windows XP CD-ROM.
    Try to use the default clock timings for your motherboard and processor. For more information about how to do this, consult your hardware documentation or contact the motherboard manufacturer.
    Your computer has damaged or mismatched random access memory (RAM) or cache memory. For example, you might be using a combination of extended data out (EDO) and non-EDO RAM, or different RAM speeds.

Decoding errors can occur even if Windows appears to be running correctly because of the additional stress that is put on your computer when Windows tries to extract files and access the hard disk.

To determine how to make your computer cache memory unavailable during Setup, see your hardware documentation or contact your hardware manufacturer.
    Your computer has Ultra direct memory access (DMA) turned on in the CMOS settings, and the data is moving too quickly.
    Change from DMA mode to Processor Input/Output (PIO) mode to lower your data transfer rate. If this does not resolve the problem, lower your PIO mode settings. The higher your PIO mode settings are, the faster your data transfer is.
    You are using a third-party memory manager.
    There is a virus on your computer.

Hope that helps. :)

3. fatbobthefirst

fatbobthefirst Thread Starter

Thank you for the Help.
    I should have this computer today to start looking into it.

4. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice