1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Havin some trouble with crashing

Discussion in 'Games' started by moelker, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moelker

moelker Thread Starter

Well, I've been trying to play some online games, and most recently, my CPU has been crashing. I've figured out that it is either A. Overheating or B. wattage. I don't think it is heating, I have a nice fan and the system is compact. However, the problem seems to be that because the case is compact, the power supply has only 200 wts. Because of this power supply, am i not able to run games properly? and if so, any suggestions would be great on how to game on this CPU. I'm beginning to think the frag box was a bad idea. *shrug.. let me know.

2. bkatz540

bkatz540

Hi!

Your 200 watt power supply is nowhere near adequate!! ;) The bare minumum would be 300 watts....i would reccommend getting an Antec brand power supply...they are the best!

~bkatz540

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Looks like you don't have enough juice as it were. Crashing like that would be caused by the CPU overheating or a power problem... looks like you need to upgrade.

4. McTimson

McTimson

Wait....did you buy a pre-assembled FragBox, and it only had a 200w power supply? What video card is in it? I just tried running a Radeon 8500 with a 200w PSU, and it wouldn't even load Windows....

5. moelker

moelker Thread Starter

Hmmmm.. the only problem i see is that i don't have enuf space in my FragBox to put in a power supply larger than the 150 x 82 x 43 mm Enhance 200w one i have atm. The space in the fragbox is limited, and it seems that those dimensions are the only ones that will fit? anyone know of any power supplies with those dimensions that have adequate wattage? reply if you could, and thx for the responses.

6. McTimson

McTimson

Honestly, I can't believe that they loaded a FragBox with a 200w power supply, and expect people to be able to run it with no problems...arg....do you have system specs of your model?

7. moelker

moelker Thread Starter

Dimension : (L)300*(W)200*(H)185, 2.85Kg (N.W.), 4.65Kg (G.W.)
    Front Panel : USB * 2, Line-out/Headphone * 1, MIC * 1, 1394 * 1, SPDIF * 1
    Back Panel : PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse * 1, Serial Port * 1, 1394 * 2, USB * 2, LAN * 1, VGA * 2 S-video*1
    Extension Bay : 5.25" * 1, 3.5" * 2

that help at all.

i just can't understand why a CPU case would not be able to carry a more powerful wattage PSU.

8. moelker

moelker Thread Starter

for more detailed specs, go to:

http://us.shuttle.com/spec/sn41g2.pdf

Please, let me know if there is any hope for the power supply. lol, i'm so confused as to why a computer case wouldn't allow more power. *sigh

9. moelker

moelker Thread Starter

Hey guys, figured out my problem. My new system is a Shuttle SFF PC. it does not require nearly as much power to run, so it is not the power supply. I found out that Shuttles are extremely anal when it comes to memory, so chances are it was a memory compatability issue. Took it to the place i got it built, and they are checking it out now. Chances are it deals with the memory though. Thanks for the responses.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice