1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having A Fallback Server?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by robobobo, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robobobo

robobobo Thread Starter

Hey guys,

We're recently having a few issues with one of our sites where the server keeps crashing. The site is running Joomla with forums and a few other features. It's quite a resource hog in my opinion. But we provide essential support services for people and having our site down at any time is very bad for our reputation and our users.

How can I and would I go about making this more reliable?

Is it possible to have 2 servers running an exact mirror image of each other, and if one fails then it reverts to the backup one? I've also heard about load sharing, but have no idea how to implement something like that, where would one start?

Edit: I've been doing some research and wondered what your opinions would be to move to a cloud vps rather than a physical one? Is it possible for a cloud vps to "crash" as such and have to be restarted? From my understanding it will never fail as it's multiple servers linked together, you will just be limited to your resources and your site might slow down, but never ultimately crash. Is this correct?

Cheers

2. mobo

mobo

Raid 1..In this instance whatever data is compiled to the maid hard drive is also written to the second drive. Its called drive mirroring. One drive fails, the other should be bootable to get you back online. However, this doesn't take into account other hardware life power supply, memory, etc but remember, no server is guaranteed 100% up time. I run a Linux Server with a raid array for redundancy. I also have another server that is offline and installed just as is the primary server. All I would need to do to have this server online and running the websites it contains would be to upload the database backups that are done daily on the main server and stored outside of the server. You can be proactive to limit downtime but it still may happen sometimes.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/geom-mirror.html

3. mobo

mobo

You could also take a look at this for the Balancing info..Costly but effective and I think its what you were asking about..Lalrger operation do it and I believe this site does it as well if you will look in the bottom left corner of this page...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!