1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having a weird problem, please help me out.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fosi, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fosi

fosi Thread Starter

Im having some weird restarts recently. When I want to copy a large file ( 700 MB ) from one HDD to another my Pc restarts after a time and I cant copy it, no matter how much I try. I have 2 HDD in my PC, one is connected to the Primary IDE channel and the second on the Seconadry IDE channel, both HDD's are MASTER. I turned off automatic restart on System failure to see what is causing the problem and for me is NPFS.SYS file whats seems to be causing the problem. Please help me, much appreciate your efforts. :)

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Hello have you ran the error check on both drives

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I would suspect a faulty HDD or faulty RAM.

The file is a Named Pipe File System file transfer driver (which aligns with your problem) and which would lead me to my intial guess of RAM or HDD.

The HDD maker should have a diagnostic utility on their website and a free program Memtest should check the memory http://www.memtest86.com/

4. fosi

fosi Thread Starter

Everything seems to be OK, ive tested both HDD an RAM's aswell. Dont think is a HDD or RAM problem because the PC restarts after a specific MB of trasnfer, bertween 300-400 MB of continuing trasnfer the PC restarts. IF i transfer litte files lets say 50 MB the PC only restarts if the total of MB trasnfered reaches or its closly to 300-400 MB as I meantioned above. Seams like a buffer overflow or something like that. Buffer or Cache memory is filled the PC restarts, im totally comfused.

5. fosi

fosi Thread Starter

Please help me, im starting to feeel sick. :(

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I se ein your first post something about NPFS. Did you mean NTFS?

Could you go into the properties on the hard drive thru My Computer and post the properties window?

7. fosi

fosi Thread Starter

NPFS.SYS m8 im sure.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice