1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

having BIG trouble with RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlooChoo, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

hi

i am trying to add another gb of RAM into my GFs comp, the mother board is an MSI K8T Neo2 Fir, the green slots have 2 sticks of 512 (Pc3200) in, and the purple slots are empty atm. i have just bought another 2 sticks of 512 ram (pc2700) to allow battlefield2142 to run a bit nicer, but when anything is in the purple slots the computer will not turn on, all of the fans spin and the comp beeps on start up and the hard drive lights come on, but nothing else. i have tested the ram seperatly and ran a windows diag test on the ram in a seperate comp, so i know the ram is good. the mother board is supposed to run upto 4gb of ram, so does that mean the slots are faulty or....

i have thought that flashing the bios might fix it? but i dont know if i shud cos the computer works fine except for the ram slots....

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Hi,

Can you link us to the RAM you bought?

Nick.

3. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

4. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

5. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

6. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Hey,

The issue is that you are using two different set of memory modules from different manufacturers - in 95% of cases, this proves to be right. You will find if you use one set of modules in your system, trying them both, both sets will work but not together.

Nick.

7. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

ah so it is the combination of ram? cos i tried both sets of the ram together in another comp an that was fine, so could it be that combination of ram haveing compatability issues with the mother board?

8. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

It seems so BlooChoo. Though i'm fairly certain the other module slots are not damaged.

Nick.

9. shaheel16

shaheel16

well Im using a combination of 2 diffrnt ram modules n all working fine.. what i have done is I have set the memory option in my bios to 133 mhz... i.e the modules are clocked at the same frequency.. just try in ur bios n see if its works..

ps: the pc 2700 freq must be normal, only the freq of the pc3200 must be downgraded...

10. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

ah..cool..yeh i heard about doing that...so if i go into my bios b4 i insert the new ram and down clock the 3200 to the same mhz as the 2700? so from 4oo down to 333...ill try that...

11. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

sheheel, chances are you will come into issues in the future if none are apparant now - that's for sure. Also, the modules should of manually scaled down to the speed of your slowest module as opposed to you having to edit the BIOS to make them the same frequency. It's a known fact that in most cases, mixed RAM will not work - sometimes the system will boot and the issues will occur later, but other times the system will not boot at all.

BlooChoo, i seriously advise you to sell the newly purchased RAM and get the exact same models of the ones currently installed and that you had previously. If you don't, chances are you will regret it in the future - but the choice is obviously yours.

Nick.

12. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

aye..true..ill see wot i can get for them on ebay...seein as i cant return them

13. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

ooh..i have one idea..ill have to try when i get home...i think the set of ram i have already installed is a matching pair..dual channel...so does that mean the other ram i install needs to be a dual channel matching pair too? i read a bit on the k8t neo2 manual and it says something along those lines...so it does look like i will be needin to buy a new set...

14. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Any matching pairs will enable dual-channel; when you install two of the same modules, this automatically enables dual-channel mode. The other pair, must too be matching, but all modules should ideally be the same - if not, then issues that we have already went through will avail.

15. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

ah cool..well uv sorted out the prob:) the second isnt a matching pair...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice