1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having: BIOS AND CMOS TROUBLE!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by davidwazhere, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davidwazhere

davidwazhere Thread Starter

undefined :( My computer went off one day and would not re start , I was then getting a message on start up boot that said insert system boot disc and would go no further , so i went into the bios and got a setting wrong , just dont know which? i have both boot disc for windows 98 .please help , someone pleaseeeeeee !!!!!!

2. davidwazhere

undefined :( My computer went off one day and would not re - start , I was then getting a message on start up boot that said insert SYSTEM BOOT DISC and would not go any further , so I went into the BIOS and got a setting wrong;accidently; just looking ,and just dont know which? I have both boot disc for windows 98 .please help , Someone pleaseeeeeee !!!!!!

3. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

check boot priorities. and tell me what they are. they can be found in the system setup before booting press the appropriate key. you should be booting to the harddrive first. make sure no floppies are in their drives. also take out any bootable cds. if you are sur you are booting from the harddrive than the hdd may be damage. lets hope its just a simple error.

ps make sure the time stays accurate b/c this may be caused by a resetting cmos or a bad battery.

4. norton850

norton850

The original message that you got could mean a couple of things. You may have just left a floppy in the drive (that would be an easy problem to fix) or that for some reason your system can't read the info it needs off your hard drive. Any clues or idea what you changed in BIOS that makes you think that you set something wrong? Perhaps you just changed the boot order? The boot disc for Windows that you have is it a CD or floppy?

5. davidwazhere

I Have Both A Floppy And Cd Boot Disc . And Before I Went Into The Bios And Cmos Settings Looking Around It Was Reading At Start : Insert System Disc . Now It Stops After It Reads : Verifying Dmi Pool ... And Thats Where It Stops. Ill Be Back After I Check That 4 Ya

6. norton850

norton850

You have three threads going. Just use the reply to thread option and stick with this series of posts only. Perhaps the moderator can merge or close some of them. I responed in a similar way to iXneonXi, It looks like now your system is trying to boot from the hard drive but stops at the verifying dmi pool message. This link may help
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm

7. davidwazhere

undefinedundefinedIt still tries to boot , but only gets to the last stage ,: VERIFYING DMI POOL DATA`` ........ :( .,.......... When I try to enter the floppy boot disc it says : I/O DISC ERROR .....RE INSERT DISC AND PRESS ANY KEY ..DOES IT EVERY TIME. :mad: LOL IM LOST

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

dmi pool is a memory check and the memory simms/dimms may be bad.

9. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

have u tried setting the harddrive as first priority and /not/ inserting a floppy.

ps-- if all fails and the boot sector of your hardrive is bad then you may need to load up on a bootfloppy and type fdisk /mbr

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Merged all 3 threads, in the future please reply back to original thread instead of creating others.

Norton, you can use the report thread button to request a merge when you see duplicates and triplicates.

11. john1

john1

most bios setups have a 'restore defaults'
    or 'set to default' setting.

You could try that.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice