1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having both Elements 3.0 and 5.0 intalled ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by jh191, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jh191

jh191 Thread Starter

I have been using Photoshop Elements 3.0 for some time. I installed Elements 5.0 on the same computer a few days ago. Is there a down side in terms of the speed or efficency of my system to having both versions installed ? The hard drive space 3.0 occupies doesn't seem so large, but are there other issues that I'm unaware of ? Is RAM some how involved, etc., or is there no real downside to keeping both versions installed ? I'm asking because there may be some things I prefer to do in 3.0. Thanks, Jack P.S. I know though both versions are currently installed, I cannot have them both open at the same time.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

No help yet ???
    I've had two versions of PS installed in the past with no ill effects, but the older version didn't stay around very long.
    I can't image any down side to having both installed ... besides chewing up disc space.
    I'm curious ... What could PSE 3 possibly have that PSE 5 can't do ???

3. jh191

jh191 Thread Starter

The "undo" and "redo" are missing from the top bar in Edit in 5.0. Not a big deal as ctrl+Z , and ctrl+Y work easily. Otherwise not sure, just loved working with 3.0, and thought I might come upon other instances where I preferred the configuration/function of 3.0 - as a hedge in other words. I added 5.0 mainly for its' lens distortion correction tool. The more I use it ( it's been about a week now ) the more I see it as an improvement in a number of areas. I may uninstall 3.0, or wait awhile. It doesn't seem to occupy much hard drive space. Thanks, Jack

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

What :confused: :confused:
    My Undo and Redo are there.
    This might depend if your Image is in a RGB or Indexed (gif) mode.
    They sort of dance around if they're available or not .. PSE seems to know if they're usable at any time.

Like you say .. I always use the keyboard shorts anyway.

Attached Files:

5. jh191

jh191 Thread Starter

Yes, thanks, I do see them in the edit window, but as you say one has to be in RGB mode, or some such to have them active. They aren't sort of always there and useable in the top bar like they were in 3.0. I'm just using ctrl+z and ctrl+y so I don't have to think about it - P.S. something I'm good at !:rolleyes: Thanks again, Jack

6. ferrija1

ferrija1

It won't slow you down at all unless you're running both at the same time. ;)

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Photoshop is smart enough to Gray out the Undo ... If there's nothing to Undo To ...
    Other tools work (or won't work) the same way also.
    This is not a problem ... Other than operator confusion ... :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/571705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice