Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Having Compatibility Issues with an Older Chipset

897 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Well having run out of places to look for an awnser I've ended up here... Which is good considering you seem like a pretty knowlegable bunch.

Anyway, I'm running an older chipset, an intel i845pe to be exact. (My specs are below) I got it about summer 03 (although it was originally released in october 02) which unfortunately put me just outside the advent of ddr2. Although the rest of my system can cope fine with todays games, the stress they put on my GPU is less than desirable and it just feels like its time to upgrade.

I've looked at a bunch of cards (particularly from ati) and decided the X850 XT would be a go at the high end of still compatible agp type cards...the only problem is the cards onboard ram is ddr2 and I don't know if that would create a problem or not.

I also forgot to check and see if my socket was compatible which kinda puts my out look on things as increasingly more grim at this point, so if anyone has any anwsers or other suggestions I'm open to them all... Otherwise I'll probably have to settle with my old Aiw radeon 9700 pro 128mb (the fan quit on me so I'm currently running an 9600 until I replace it). Again, any help or suggestions are appreciated.

CPU:
Northwood Intel Pentium 4 cpu 2.4ghz
Model D845PEBT2 (ICH4)
Socket: 478m mpga
2 gigs XR DDR 128x64-400 (pc3200)
Ati Aiw radeon 9600 ddr 256
Graphic Interface:
AGP version 2.0
4x max supported transfer
sideband enabled

(my power supply is only 300w so I'll likely be replacing that in the near future)

See less See more
#3 ·
Well I wouldn't want to chance burning out a $200-300 + Gpu on account of a power supply I can pick up for a meer $40.

Ever since my other card quit I've been kind of anxious about getting a decent replacement soo I'm relieved to finally have an anwser about the on card ram.

Still have to find out if the sockets would be compatiable though, if thats the case I can just pick up the new card, send the Aiw 9600 back and get a t.v wonder instead

#7 ·
r3db4r0n said:
Well I wouldn't want to chance burning out a $200-300 + Gpu on account of a power supply I can pick up for a meer $40.
I'd suggest you buy a quality P/S, or you may not be any better off than you are now. A cheap P/S is a bad investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.