1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having difficulty w/ my home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chevy4x4trucks, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chevy4x4trucks

chevy4x4trucks Thread Starter

I currently have 6 computers hooked up to my home network and needed to add another hub. I placed my old 5 port hub upstairs in the house for those two computers and bought a Netgear FS108 10/100 8 port hub for my gaming area in the basement. Well, I went to watch a movie off of the server today after I hooked up the hub and it was going really slow. I read the instructions, tried switching the network cable locations and still nothing. I grabbed the old hub and hooked that up and it worked flawlessly. Anyone know what the problem may have been?

Got a few more questions while I'm at it. I'm having problems w/ my newest computer "seeing" my network. How do I set it up so that it will see it?

Thanks in advance,
    Jon

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Sounds like you have warrantee claim on the newer hub.

3. twisted_by_you

twisted_by_you

see if your hub and cards are running at 100.

if its running 10, that might be a problem.

4. Raphael

Raphael

I agree with twisted. As for your networking info, try www.wown.com.
    If you need additional assitance, we'll be glad to help, what kind of network are you running? What protocols? right click on Network Neighborhood, and try to copy all your info onto your new comp.

5. chevy4x4trucks

chevy4x4trucks Thread Starter

The hub was the problem. I'm going to return it this week and get a different one. Right now I've got it running on the other computers since they aren't used to transfer large amounts of data like I am.

I'm working on getting info up on my web page about all the computers I'm running and all that good stuff. You can see the start of it at http://network.mudcrazy.com I'll have some pics of the stuff soon, probably snap a few tonight of them.

I'm having another problem w/ some web pages not loading on a few of the computers. I thought it was a java problem, but I figured out that it's not java or network related since my friends can plug in and there computers will work. Any thoughts on this?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice