1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved having issues with m.2 Evo Samsung

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darkfang12, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkfang12

darkfang12 Thread Starter

hi everyone,

i have been having issues with M.2 evo samsung. i installed the windows 10 on it and of course i installed all the right drivers for my motherboard which is "GA-H170-Gaming 3". but i have been getting blue screen and i have done format on the same m.2 but i have been getting same issue with blue screen. i am thinking it could be with the bios so i am wondering could i install same update again on the bios ? . i have heard that Evo m.2 is bad to have is that right ? .

thank you.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Samsung M.2 drives are bulletproof; I have been using one on my personal system for over 1yr. No problems at all.
    I checked the support page for your motherboard and the bios updates do not list anything specific to M.2 drives. You can try a bios update however it is unknown if the updates will fix your problem. You mention blue screens have you ever tested your memory with mentest? If not, I would do so.
    There is also a nvme driver for the samsung drives. Have you installed this driver? On my own system, installing the driver made a difference in read/write speeds however I never had any stability problems.

From the spec sheet for your motherboard, it does not say nvme drives are supported however in the manual it does mention 32gig and those are nvme type drives.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. There are two different versions of your motherboard. Ver 1 and ver 1.1. Be SURE you download the correct bios. The only way I ever update a bios on a gigabyte board is by using Qflash which is part of the bios. I never update from within windows.

4. darkfang12

well i did update it with the Qflash can i do it again same update ? and how can i know which ver is the motherboard ?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you updated to the latest bios, no need to do the update again. It is not going to do anything.
    It should be silkscreened on the board itself OR read your manual. That should show you the location of where the ver# is silkscreened on the board.
    The ver# should also be included on the sticker attached to the motherboard box. It is right where the serial# is located on the sticker.

6. darkfang12

i just opened the computer and the ver is 1.0

7. darkfang12

it was my mistake i didnt see the M.2 Support List only samsung m.2 950 Pro compatible with it. thank you for the help

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice