1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

having power problems with new comp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crxfiend209, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crxfiend209

crxfiend209 Thread Starter

hi, i just recently had a problem with 1 of my computers... i turn the power on... and about 3 seconds later it like dies out and start making a clicking sound...i tested the power supply, its perfectly okay...i was wondering if the board is bad? if so ill order a new 1...can any1 help me?

comp info:
    p4 2.0ghrz
    p4vmm2 model
    256 ddr memory
    etc...

thankyou,

henry:(

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

what do you mean it dies out?.....does your monitor go blank?....power lights on the case on or off?....hd activity lights?...

find out where the clicking sound is coming from.

open the case and listen.

check your fans . if your cpu fan is dead, the board may sense it and not boot.

3. crxfiend209

nothing pops up on the monitor at all... it sounds like its loading up...but then it like dies out and idels...say when it starts up the power sounds like its at a 10...then a few seconds later it dies out and idels at like a 3..and the red led starts blinking on the case. the sound seems like its coming from the power supply...

i just checked the fans... all the fans are working properly

henry

4. n2gun

n2gun

Welcome To TSG

Have you tried booting with a boot disk? It may be a hard drive problem and this would help tell. Also you need to set the bios to boot from the floppy first before you try it if not set that way already.

5. crxfiend209

the comp was already up and running... so should i try and put the boot disk in... and see what happens?

henry

6. raz

raz

Henry

switch off the comp - put the boot disk in and power up ...then see what happens

Can it access the hdd? from what you have said it could be that the hdd drive heads may be the problem and can't read the disk but keeps trying hence the clicking.

Has the hdd taken a knock?
    if it is a hdd prob - check the warranty - you may be covered for the disk but not the data

Raz

7. n2gun

n2gun

Is it booting to windows when it comes up? Also have you listened with the case open to see where it is coming from? If it is coming from the hard drive you will want to backup anything important before it dies.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice