1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having problems connecting to Belkin wireless, please help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AlexL76, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlexL76

AlexL76 Thread Starter

I have connected to my uncle's "unsecure" wireless (Belkin) with no problem. He is very aware of this. He has no idea why this is happening. He comes up, Im on the 2nd floor and brings his laptop. He is connected at the same time, like it was before. What could be preventing me from logging in? Please help
    I have Vista he has Win XP in a Vaio.

2. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Maybe thier is a restriction on wireless clients by the router or the two devices interfere with each other?

3. AlexL76

AlexL76 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I thought of that, too. My Uncle says he did not block me in any way. Can this happen automatically? My cousins also log on but they dont have a problem. Can this block some pc and others they done?
    If he has done so how can I HELP HIM? He gets lost in Pc world.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Could be a firewall blocking your access.Could be on the router .
    Also you said you are connected to your uncle's network,but can not log in.Error messages?
    I am not really sure what you are saying here.

5. AlexL76

AlexL76 Thread Starter

I would connect with no problem at all. All of a sudden it just wont connect me. Unable to connect, contact the Admin. Im not sure, word for word. I have connected to my freinds linksys and no problem. He says he has not locked any of us out. What can I do?

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ok.So sometimes you can log on and sometimes not?
    Could be a number of things(weak signal/lost connectivity,etc)
    Would help for search purposes to know exact error msg text.

7. AlexL76

AlexL76 Thread Starter

for the past few days I have not been able to connect to that router. It states "Windows connect to *****Wrieless 123

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Windows connect to *****Wrieless 123
    Sorry.Message makes no sense to me.
    Do you mean:
    Windows unable to connect to ????wireless

If encrption is enabled on the router,disable it to see if this makes a difference.
    Also might ttry changing the wireless channel on the router.
    Not much else I can suggest.

9. AlexL76

AlexL76 Thread Starter

Yes, sorry thats exactly what it says. My Laptop has an internal router where I can basically log on anywhere, like. my uncles. Is there anything I can do from my end?

10. pedroguy

pedroguy

y Laptop has an internal router where I can basically log on anywhere, like. my uncles. Is there anything I can do from my end?

I think what you mean is that your laptop has a wireless adapter.

Basic info from your uncle's.
    On his machine
    start/run type in cmd
    On the resulting screen type in ipconfig /all
    copy/paste those results on this thread noting that it is uncles pc.

On your machine when you cannot connect.
    For Vista,type in CMD in the Search box after Start
    Then ipconfig /all.You will probably have to copy those results to floppy or cd and post those results to this thread noting your machine.
    Also on your machine it would be helpful to have an ipconfig /all when connected.
    This info will help us understand the local network environment a bit more.

On your machine,go into device manager,drill down to the network adapter click on it and confirm that there are no ? marks or yellow exclamation points there.This will confirm a working/no problem adapter.

You probably should also log onto the router from Uncle's pc(hope you have the user's manual,cause I do not have a Belkin).Disable encryption if enabled,make sure that ssid broadcast is enabled(probably is,but check)
    Also change the wireless channel while there(1/6/11) are preferred.

Sorry I cannot be more specific about what needs to be done to correct this.Hopefully when we see results of ipconfigs one of us will see the problem and have some suggestions.Until then,I have just been able to give you general things to do that could solve your problem

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/736824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice