1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

having problems setting up hdtv

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Velius2820, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Velius2820

Velius2820 Thread Starter

Hello, I'm trying to set up an hdtv for a friend right now. I dont really know much about it, and I'm having some problems.

I'm fairly certain that I have the right cords in their places. I have an hdmi cable coming from the tv to the cable box. I also have some red/green/blue cables connected as well, though I hear they are not needed if you have an hdmi cable. The problem comes from not seeing any hd channels. Everything just looks junky and low res. I have changed the input settings to hdmi 2 which is where I have it connected. He is using Comcast cable with an hd box so I'm assuming he has access to hd cable.

Do I have to change some settings within the menu systems of the tv and cable box? Do I have to call the cable company to activate them. I'm really confused, I have turned off both the tv and the cable box and turned them back on but it still looks horrible. Will the hd channels automatically work on their designated channels or do you have to go to a different channel. Like fox is on channel 6 but hdfox would be on a different channel?

Sorry this post is a little convuluted, I'm finding it hard to put things into words. If anyone has any ideas of what I can do, they would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    check the tv setting - 576 - 1080 P
    most broadcasts in UK if in HD are 1080i

also check the cable box for those settings
    is the user subscribed to receive HD ?

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Don't assume. Comcast charges extra for HD. If your friend isn't paying for it, he's not getting it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice