1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having problems updating video drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phayded, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phayded

Phayded Thread Starter

Ok, first post here so dont smack me down too hard if I step on a forum rule or 2. First Ill give you all the specs I can recall about my comp.

Windows XP SP2
    AMD 64 3200+
    Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 nForce4 4X chipset
    Palit Geforce 6200 PCI-e 256mb video card
    1k pc3200 ram (dont recall manufacturer)
    Creative Soundblaster

I put this computer together myself from the pieces. I installed the drivers for the geforce that came with the card on a CD. Version 61.74 if i recall correctly. I have tried to update those drivers with several diffrent driver sets since then. I downloaded the newest drivers from Nvidia, downloaded the ones from the card manufacturer site and even tried some forceware ones from 3dguru. Everytime I install them the computer will reboot as normal and when it gets to loading in windows it slows to a frame by frame show. THe monitor will click and reset and continue to do so over and over. I have tried uninstalling the old drivers first, that didnt work. Tried installing over the old drivers, tried sevreal diffrent drivers versions and all do the same thing. I flashed my bios up to latest version and updated the nforce chipset driver. I am at a total loss on how to fix this. If anyone needs any further info or has any suggestions I would be grateful.

2. Katagi

Katagi

THe monitor will click and reset...
    Is the monitor old? Maybe after installing the vid drivers the resolution gets set too high for the monitor to handle. Dunno if this will help at all... just the first thing that comes to mind.

3. Phayded

Phayded Thread Starter

Its not real old...its a 19" gateway ev910 if memory serves correctly. I can play World of Warcaft at 1152 x 864 with no problems. Its not so much the resetting of the monitor, it starts to load the desktop, but at an insanely slow rate, like it would take about an hour or so to draw the whole desktop.

4. hartbeatmr

hartbeatmr

Hi Phayded

I know that you said that un-installed the drivers but when you did that did you take out all software that may have been installed with the drivers.
    Plus does the card have any thing like TV out, ViVo ? if so uninstall them as well.
    Once you get all of them out, check under the program list that it (palit) is not listed then look in the add/remove and make sure that the drivers either Nvidia or palit is not listed.
    Then install the latest drivers for your OS, i just updated mine and the newest version is 77.72 and WDM (for ViVo and TV) is 2.26 for XP on my GeForce 4 TI4280PV with yours being a PCIe and depending on your OS the driver version may be different version.

Then install the Video drivers (don't reboot yet) then if you have ViVo or TV install the WDM drivers then reboot and let windows find everything and install them as needed.
    If you need any help just email me
    hartbeatmr :D

5. Phayded

Phayded Thread Starter

I just wiped the whole computer and reinstalled XP so there werent any drivers on it at all. There is a problem with removing some of the drivers. My Mobo uses Nvidia drivers too for the nForce chipset, so when I go to uninstall the display ones it asks me if I want to install all nvidia drivers or just the display ones...tryed it both ways and neither worked. It does have a tv-out on it, but I am not familiar with the WDM drivers...would not updating them, but updating the display drivers possibly cause this? Where would I find the WDM drivers? Ill try that if its the case. Anyway thx for the reply.

6. Phayded

Phayded Thread Starter

Well..tried updating the chipset and WDM first and it didnt make a diffrence. Kinda stuck again.

7. hartbeatmr

hartbeatmr

HI again

OK, if the MoBo (chipset) drivers are up to date, Video drivers are up to date, and the WDM drivers are up to date.

Than I would try using the monitor on another puter, if the monitor is OK on another puter. Than it would end up being 1 of 2 things BAD video card or a bad PCIe slot (where the card is in).

Because if you are (the system) clean from Virus's, spyware etc. Then you have a hardware problem.

Come to think of it are there any errors (computer / windows) or is there anything in the event viewer that might lead you to the video card or anything else that might be causing you the issue.
    hartbeatmr :rolleyes:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/384919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice