1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having problems with crashing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by julkku_, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julkku_

julkku_ Thread Starter

A few days ago, my PC crashed suddenly, without a blue screen. After that, the crashing became frequent, with blue screens. I decided to reinstall windows 7, as I was due to do it anyway, after trying to diagnose the problem - to no avail.

After a clean install, the problems came back. Not caused by anything in particular - it seems. Every once in a while, the system just crashes. It may be on for hours, or just minutes. Right now I had a particularily bad moment, when the crashing stopped me from booting, even into safe mode.

Windbg did blame rdyboost.sys for some of the crashes - before and after the clean install.

Ran a memtest today, nothing showed up.

Thanks in advance!

Link to the most recent memory dump: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B760BFEA67B238A8!661&authkey=!ANTG_1drRat8nKg&ithint=file,DMP

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 12286 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 887069 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M4A87TD/USB3

UPDATE: I accidentally installed 32-bit Windows while reinstalling, and had it for a day. (I was really tired). No crashes occured then.
    I just got a crash with the culprit as ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!NtSetInformationThread+3c6e ). Apparently this points to hardware? My crashes seem to generally have different culprits.

Just took out my older pair of RAM (2+2), to see what happens.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

rdyboost.sys is related to ReadyBoost. This feature uses external USB flash drives as a hard disk cache to improve disk read performance. Supported external storage types include USB thumb drives, SD cards, and CF cards. Since ReadyBoost will not provide a performance gain when the primary disk is an SSD, Windows 7 disables ReadyBoost when reading from an SSD drive.

External storage must meet the following requirements:
    • Capacity of at least 256 MB, with at least 64 kilobytes (KB) of free space.The 4-GB limit of Windows Vista has been removed.
    • At least a 2.5 MB/sec throughput for 4-KB random reads
    • At least a 1.75 MB/sec throughput for 1-MB random writes
    Maybe your drive doesn't meet ReadyBoost requirements?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff356869.aspx

Turn ReadyBoost on or off for a storage device

3. julkku_

julkku_ Thread Starter

I haven't really had a flash drive plugged in when the crashed have occured. I don't think it would be that, then?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice