1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having problems with one website timing out

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cosine25, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosine25

cosine25 Thread Starter

Hi, over the last few months I've been having problems with one specific website (livejournal.com) timing out when I try to access it. This used to happen only occasionally and righted itself within a couple of hours. It happened more and more frequently until it was occurring every day for several hours at a time. Other people can access the website when I'm having problems and the issue occurs whether I use my wired PC or my wireless laptop so I'm sure the problem is located somewhere between my modem and my ISP.

So far I've tried: resetting my modem (Siemens Gigaset SE587), changing the modem, plugging the modem into my master socket rather than an extension, using public DNS servers & contacting my ISP. My ISP told me to use specific DNS servers which didn't solve the problem, then asked me to use the 'regsvr32 softpub.dll' command which didn't work either. They're now as baffled as I am.

I'm using Windows XP Home on the PC and XP Pro on the laptop. I've tried using Firefox, Chrome and IE on both computers. I've disabled my anti-viruses and my firewalls and I've run malware checks. None of the above makes any difference to the problem, although when I plugged the modem into the master socket it was a week or so before the problem re-occurred. I'm not sure if that was co-incidence or not.

This is driving me crazy, does anyone have any advice?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice