1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

having restart problems with new pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darienwalker, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darienwalker

Darienwalker Thread Starter

mobo: gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH (LGA155 socket)
    psu: CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 650W
    video card: EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
    cpu: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
    ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    hdd: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB

put together this pc with the help of a friend but now having problems while trying to install from my usb stick, with that it keeps rebooting while were trying to install windows 7
    At one point we were doing the install in safe mode and it got to past installing features and shut down when it was going install updates, when we powered it back on we saw bootmgr is missing.

any help could be appreciated

this is a newly put together pc fresh from thier boxes and the only thing done software related was to update the bios.

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I'm not sure if this is your problem, but just check. When I install a new OS from flash drive, my computer is set to always check from booting from a flash drive first. So I get through the install, it automatically restarts, and then I have to take the flash drive out, otherwise it will go back to my USB drive and then start the process all over. So after you get through the first part of installing and then it automatically restarts, take the flash drive out, so the install process will continue. Then, I usually put it back it after that, not sure if you have to. Make sense? I guess you could also change your boot order.

3. Darienwalker

yea i know about the boot order thing but it doesnt give me the auto restart during installation it just shuts down when it starts to update its features

4. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Ok. So let me get this right. You boot to the flash drive, go through the installation process, it auto restarts by itself, and then the computer doesn't boot back up? So then you turn the computer on, and instead of it continuing through the installation process, you have to start back over?

5. Darienwalker

it went like this
    copying files
    expanding files
    installing features
    installing updates ...shuts down completely
    when i power it back on it says 'bootmgr missing ctrl alt del'

6. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/43557-63-solved-bootmgr-missing-failed-windows-install

In this article, it seemed that they continuously pressed f8 (for advanced boot options) once the computer shut down after the restart. In your case, you are installing updates, it shuts down completely, when you power it back on, keep hitting f8 until you get the screen or you hear a bios beep. Select the boot with logger. The computer will then boot the computer and take you to the installation startup of your new windows. I personally haven't experienced this. Just going off this article.

7. Darienwalker

:( memtest showed no errors

tried with just 1 stick and swapped out the psu (without the video card) and its the same result
    'it shuts down after windows logo' if i try to use my installation cd
    'bootmgr is missing' if i try to just power on without it

8. Darienwalker

tried to no avail with that solution u linked it just keeps shutting down any other suggestions

9. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I have never encountered this problem and searching for solutions is not the easiest, but here are a couple of things I can think of that could be causing this problem. The problem is that most of these require other hardware that you might not have access to.
    1. Try a bigger power supply.
    2. Try a different hard drive.
    3. The installation disc could be "bad." The way I install windows with a flash drive and have never had a problem, is with pendrive ( http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ ). Very easy and great tool to use with almost all OS. I would format the flash drive (it gives you the option to do this before it installs the OS, assuming you have no other important data files on there). Also, I would download a fresh iso of the windows from microsoft. Once you select what OS you want with pendrive, you search for this iso and just select it. Let me know if you have any problems, and what happens.
    If you can't try the other two, because you don't have another hard drive or power supply, don't worry about it. Hopefully someone else can help us out here if they have had the problem.

10. Darienwalker

swapped the hard drive
    swapped psu
    tried a 'live cd'
    none has worked so im leaning towards the mobo just gonna either rma it if i cant simply replace it

11. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Alright. Let me know if that solves your problem. Hopefully, it does.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice