1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having same issue with wireless disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Miskondukt, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Miskondukt

Miskondukt Thread Starter

So I figured I'd jump on here instead of making another new thread-condense (what do you tech's call it-aggregate?) some information.

I have been with AT&T Uverse at the current place I'm living for almost a month. The connection has been satisfactory for the first three weeks, but this last week my PC's connection has gone diggin through the Earth cause it sure as hell can't penetrate clearly.

I personally have three devices, and the two roommates have their own and they have not mentioned any issues with theirs-if they've even noticed.

My Devices:
    PC - OMG FML KMN, Mainly cause I want my EVE (crack)
    PS3 - No Problems
    Tablet - No Problems

Speeds have been testing in ranges from 0.09 kbps to 8.25 mbps over five samplings this morning while the tablet's been testing standard speeds consistently.

During Xirrus' "Ping" testing (Yes, I Googled the hell out of and troubleshot this irritation for now almost two days first) my PC's connection died and was unable to locate my connection for at least 30 seconds. This had happened several times yesterday as well with the following instances :

The usual items I have running:
    EVE Online x 2 clients I lost a thorax cause of it
    Five peripheral programs: Mumble, Pidgeon, Pyfa, EVEHQ, Garpa
    At least five tabs open on Chrome
    Misc software.

In the past few days my PC's connection has been highly intermittent-and that's at best. First I thought it has something to do with my video drivers which I updated to no effect. Then I thought it might have something to do with some of the software I use for EVE Online which had me trying variations of running programs to still no useful effect.

I've also switched from the internal wireless device to a NetGear Dual Band adapter, but unfortunately it still produces the same results. This put me at a loss. If my other devices are staying connected, but two independent network devices produced the same failing result on the same PC...wth maaaan. Software? Hardware? Signal Clarity IDK!

Let me know if you would like me to force it to spike and collapse for the signal history.

The computer's about 2 years old now.

Attached Files:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    each machine can be different and it gets very confusing with different pcs on the same thread - so we do not thread-condense (what do you tech's call it-aggregate?)
    here
    for clarity

3. Miskondukt

Ah, ok. New thread it is then! Issue still standing. Trying to post more images but pc isnt even loading the site

Not sure how long this bandwidth is going to last.

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    -72 signal will not give you a robust connection

can you move the router or the aerial at all

5. Miskondukt

The router is out in the open as much as it can be nor can i get my pc any closer to it.

Straight thru three walls, 40-50' walking around a corner. Signal has been around 60+ since move-in. Also posted images in reply above

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    move closer to the router - in the same room - and see if that resolves the issue - if so - then you have a signal issue

7. Miskondukt

There must be some sort of pc issue. I cannot move the pc closer to the modem nor visa versa; however I have tested the tablet both in my room and next to the unit. The signal was twice as strong as in the room on the tablet, but my issue is with the PC not holding a connection and or a strong signal to now even browse. This had not been the issue to any severe extent two days prior.

Wednesday and before I did not have the issues I am experiencing now. As of now, I cannot browse without the bandwidth killing the connection. I am sitting next to it now on the tablet w/out any problems. Just speed tested at 7mbps from the tablet. PS3 still no d/c's

It would appear my pc is doing something.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    why not ?

9. Miskondukt

So you're saying that the same signal that is being received by both my ps3 and tablet in the same room as my desktop pc giving both devices a perfectly working signal is still a signal issue because my desktop pc is not receiving it as well as the other two devices?

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes, and I wanted to see the strength of the signal when in same room - as it maybe an aerial issue

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice