1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having some trouble with Phenom/Athlon choices,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thatguychuck, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thatguychuck

thatguychuck Thread Starter

Greetings!
    Currently running an Athlon II x2 220 2.8GHz and am thinking of moving to a quad. My (HP) M2n68-la Narra5 board is limited to 95w, the spec sheet shows compatibility with the Phenom II quad and the Athlon X4. I think I've narrowed it down to three choices.

A Athlon II x4 3.1GHz:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103885

A Phenom II x4 2.8GHz:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103916

Or a 65w lower clock version (Phenom II x4 2.6GHz) which is closer to my current setup regarding power consumption:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103907

I have read various ideas on just how much of difference the L3 will make. Would the higher clock of the Athlon negate the L3 of the Phenom? Would there be much of a difference at all? Ideas? Thank you!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to make sure that the cpu you want to install is supported. Just because it says quad core does NOT mean it supports all quads [even if they are at or below the TDP that the board can support] The bios needs to have the correct microcode to support a given cpu.

Here is the problem. No big box mfg has a vested interest in you installing an updated cpu. They would rather you bought a new system from them.

A general rule is that unless the cpu you are going to install is at least 50% faster than the one you currently have, you are wasting your money. IMO you would not see all that much performance improvement. You might see a benchmark improvement or a WEI improvement however real world it would be negligible at best.

In short if you decide you want to install a new cpu, you need to contact hp and make sure the exact cpu you intend to install is supported.

3. thatguychuck

Ah, thank you! I was afraid it would be something of that nature. The pc was a gift so I'm stuck with it for the moment. I may do some more investigating and see what kind of swap I can do anyway. Being new to most of this, it's more for the learning experience than any real performance gains anyway. Thank you again.

4. replay

replay

heres your choices ......
    Socket type: AM2
    TDP: 89 watt
    Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
    Athlon 64 less than 4000+
    Sempron less than 4000+

5. ecko69x

ecko69x

How much RAM do you have? If you only have 2GB, than you would benefit more with 4GB in total.

6. thatguychuck

Sorry, I probably should have put that in the op. I'm maxed out at 4gb ddr2. I wasn't super happy when I first got it, being a slimline and all. But after a Seasonic tfx psu and an xfx low profile gpu, I was a little suprised. It actually suits my needs, for now.

7. thatguychuck

Well, according to HP they should work. I don't know if I'll pull the trigger on this or not. However, to satisfy my curiousity, does anyone have any input on going with either an Athlon II x4 3.1GHz, or a A Phenom II x4 2.8GHz? I've read that clock for clock the l3 cach will give around a 5% performance increase. So it would be a question of going with the l3 cach at a slower clocker, or a little higher clock without it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice