Having some weird boot-up problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alamoavenger

I have a Lenovo Y570 which has recently started acting up. It frequently freezes right on the Lenovo start-up screen or immediately after. It also freezes occasionally on the Windows loading screen and on the user login screen. The BIOS suggested doing some Windows file scan thing to look for problems, but it freezes every time on the "Windows is loading files" screen. However, everything works absolutely fine once I'm on my desktop. I like to think this isn't a hard drive issue, since I've never dropped the computer and have generally taken very good care of it, but I'm sure it's a possibility. This is turning into a huge hassle, and it takes upward of 5 tries to start my computer. I'm on safe mode now, which seems to have a marginally higher chance of loading correctly. Is this a BIOS or Windows problem, since things seem to work fine once everything is started up? Please help me figure out what's going on here. Thanks.

dai

download and run the hard drive makers diagnostic utility on the hard drive

Triple6

Rob
Hard drives do not need to be dropped to fail, they simply need to be used; hard drives fail its a simple fact. Start by testing the hard drive. You should be able to see the make and model of the drive in the BIOS, then use UBCD or the individual manufacturer's diagnostics to run the full scan on the drive: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

alamoavenger

I've done every hard disk test imaginable and it always came up fine. Any other suggestions?

dai

if it is still a problem with safe mode,i would lean towards the bios is having a problem with a piece of hardware or a setting in the bios it does not like

can you see a delay on anything during the post screens

if you have any usb plugged in try without it

try with the bios set to default,but note the settings first so you can re optimise it later

alamoavenger

I did just about everything using the Seagate diagnostic program. My drive is a WDC but supposedly the Seagate program works well for anything. I've been having more trouble even getting the BIOS menus to show up, so I really think it's a BIOS problem. I set everything to default, but it didn't help.

dai

in msconfig untick all non microsoft items and see how it boots

i found on my lenovo if you disable the splash screen it allows you to see more bios settings

Triple6

Rob
You can also use the Lenovo System Recovery to wipe out the entire system and start factory fresh to rule out all software issues. Use the Lenovo Think key or check the manual on how to launch it. Make sure to backup all your data as it will be erased.

alamoavenger

Is there any way of doing a factory reboot without windows? I can't even get it to load now...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online