1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having some weird boot-up problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alamoavenger, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alamoavenger

alamoavenger Thread Starter

I have a Lenovo Y570 which has recently started acting up. It frequently freezes right on the Lenovo start-up screen or immediately after. It also freezes occasionally on the Windows loading screen and on the user login screen. The BIOS suggested doing some Windows file scan thing to look for problems, but it freezes every time on the "Windows is loading files" screen. However, everything works absolutely fine once I'm on my desktop. I like to think this isn't a hard drive issue, since I've never dropped the computer and have generally taken very good care of it, but I'm sure it's a possibility. This is turning into a huge hassle, and it takes upward of 5 tries to start my computer. I'm on safe mode now, which seems to have a marginally higher chance of loading correctly. Is this a BIOS or Windows problem, since things seem to work fine once everything is started up? Please help me figure out what's going on here. Thanks.

2. dai

dai

download and run the hard drive makers diagnostic utility on the hard drive

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Hard drives do not need to be dropped to fail, they simply need to be used; hard drives fail its a simple fact. Start by testing the hard drive. You should be able to see the make and model of the drive in the BIOS, then use UBCD or the individual manufacturer's diagnostics to run the full scan on the drive: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

4. alamoavenger

I've done every hard disk test imaginable and it always came up fine. Any other suggestions?

5. dai

dai

if it is still a problem with safe mode,i would lean towards the bios is having a problem with a piece of hardware or a setting in the bios it does not like

can you see a delay on anything during the post screens

if you have any usb plugged in try without it

try with the bios set to default,but note the settings first so you can re optimise it later

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Which exact tests have you run?

7. alamoavenger

I did just about everything using the Seagate diagnostic program. My drive is a WDC but supposedly the Seagate program works well for anything. I've been having more trouble even getting the BIOS menus to show up, so I really think it's a BIOS problem. I set everything to default, but it didn't help.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  9. alamoavenger

I did both the SMART an extended tests on Data Lifeguard and they came up fine.

10. dai

dai

run

chkdsk /f

and

sfc /scannow

11. alamoavenger

Both of those came up clean.. :/

12. dai

dai

in msconfig untick all non microsoft items and see how it boots

i found on my lenovo if you disable the splash screen it allows you to see more bios settings

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can also use the Lenovo System Recovery to wipe out the entire system and start factory fresh to rule out all software issues. Use the Lenovo Think key or check the manual on how to launch it. Make sure to backup all your data as it will be erased.

14. alamoavenger

Is there any way of doing a factory reboot without windows? I can't even get it to load now...

15. dai

dai

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice