1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having trouble accessing hard drive (No Partition)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Treyes3, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Treyes3

Treyes3 Thread Starter

I was moving some files between my external hard drive and computer, but my cat knocked over the external, causing it to disconnect. I am now having trouble accessing the hard drive. I'm thinking that the hard drive became corrupt (like when it does not get safely removed). I've tried to use Testdisk to try to repair the hard drive, but I keep getting "Partition: Read Error". I cant access the hard drive at all, but it does get detected by the computer. Is the data still salvageable? The drive is a 1TB toshiba external SATA drive.

2. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

If you haven't tried yet, shut down the computer, unplug the external drive, replug it and restart the computer. That has worked for me in the past. It is possible that a program like recuva can help you recover your data if it's recognized.

3. Dougx789

Dougx789

Have a look at Easeus.com they have a free version of their software which has partition recovery and data recovery.

I advise your get a seconded external hard drive and move any data you can recover to the new drive.

Don't write anything to the one that has been damaged.

Once you have recovered everything you can, you can then look at using the drive again but remember onces its had a fault its more likely to have another.
    Never keep one back-up of your data. Two minimum on different media.

4. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

Easeus is a great partition manager but the free recovery program only lets you recover 1 GB without paying for the paid version which is expensive.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Have you checked that the cable inside the case to the disk has not been disturbed?
    If TESTDISK is struggling with it then any software will struggle.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It is possible that when the external drive was knocked over the HDD was actually damaged.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice