1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Having trouble connecting to Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rapport, Jun 19, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. Rapport

Rapport Thread Starter

Hello, I have been trying to connect wirelessly from my PC to my router. I was able to use LAN on it, but for some reason, I cannot use Wifi. It seems like the option for wireless is not on my computer. When I try to set up a network, not a single wireless router or access point appears on my network. I do not see a wireless/ Wifi option in my Network & Internet settings either. The OS I am using is Windows 10 Pro. Thank you.

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Does the computer include a wireless adapter? If so, does it appear as "OK" in Device Manager under Network Adapters?

4. Rapport

Rapport Thread Starter

Under Network adapters, I only see my Intel Ethernet connection, my Kaspersky security, and a bunch of "WAN Miniports", varying from IKEv2, IP to Network Monitor and SSTP. Also I do not believe I have a wireless adapter.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Until you get one it will be quite difficult "to connect wirelessly from [your] PC to [your] router."

6. Rapport

Rapport Thread Starter

Oh, I figured since my laptop has wireless internet and does not require a wireless adapter, that I would be able to connect without one. Do you recommend any specific wireless adapters?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You figured wrong. Few, if any, laptops in the past dozen years or more have come without an integrated wireless adapter. If your laptop can connect to a wireless (Wi-Fi) network you can be sure that it has a wireless adapter.

I do not. Last time I bought one was when draft 802.11n was the big new thing. :) Make sure that the one you get has a Windows 10 driver. Assuming that your PC is a desktop you may need an adapter that includes an antenna that can be placed above or beside the PC.

Rapport likes this.
  8. Rapport

Rapport Thread Starter

Oh ok, thank you.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You're welcome. :)

Rapport likes this.
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1191742