Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Having trouble connecting to my FTP server from the outside world...

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I am running FileZila FTP server. My OS is XP Pro. I set up a group and then a user within that group in Filezilla and assigned the same folder privileges to both the group and the user. I had someone try to connect to it, and he said that he connected but that he didn't get any directory listing, and he got the error message "can't open data connection". I did a little research and read that FTP sometimes needs more than just port 21, and that passive mode users sometimes need a different port range as well, so I set port ranges 20-25 and 5000-5100 on my router to forward to the server machine. I then had someone else attempt to connect from the outside, and the same kind of thing happened to her but she got a different error message "An error has occured - please make sure you have permission to open the folder". I am stuck now. Does anyone have any idea what's causing this? If you'd like to try to connect yourself, it's

ftp://jras.merseine.nu
username: Anon
password: password

Any help is much appreciated.

#4 ·
I don't see any problem, I transferred a small file, and it all seems to work well. I'd change the name/password now, since you posted them in an open public forum! :D

#5 ·
Just to make sure you guys saw the right thing....it was a folder full of mp3s and subfolders with other mp3s, right? Also, could you write to them or just read? I didn't give write privileges to the account so you shouldn't be able to write to it.

#6 ·
I didn't try to write, just downloaded a U2 MP3, it seemed to work just fine, and the file played. You obviously have connectivity, now you just need to work on account security. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.