1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having trouble getting desktop to work.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darkynd, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darkynd

Darkynd Thread Starter

A while ago, last semester, my desktop died on me, and just recently I'm trying to get it rebuilt. When it died on me, the problem was, it would start up, emit a beep, then turn off..

I figured it was the motherboard/cpu, so I ordered a Chaintech 2.4 Ghz 478 Socket Motherboard, and an Intel 1.8 Ghz Celeron CPU to replace the old just recently.

My other specs are just:
    two 128 Mb SDRam chips
    Geforce 3 Ti200 128Mb video card
    36x cd-rom
    an ethernet card
    2 harddrives
    (my old soundcard isn't compatible with the motherboard)

The problem I have now, is when I start up the computer, the moniter won't turn on, and there's no beeping sound.. I know the moniter isn't faulty, as it works when I plug it into my laptop, so I was thinking maybe my video card is not compatible with my motherboard or it's not working? Please respond.. I'm quite lost at what to do, as I don't know what's wrong. I would try plugging in another video card, but I don't have an extra lying around anywhere. Maybe the problem is due to bad connections/bad motherboard or cpu? I would be grateful for any help!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It sounds a lot more fundamental than the monitor not turning on.

The lack of a beep on POST suggests that the PC is not even trying to boot up. So, there will be nothing on the monitor.

That suggests a basic failure of the Power Supply, CPU or motherboard (or 1568 other items).

What lights come on? Do the fans run?

3. Darkynd

Darkynd Thread Starter

Well, the lights for the harddrive, floppy disk, and cd-rom come on, and all the fans work fine, so I know everything's powered alright at least.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    did you amke sure that your clear CMOS jumper isnt placed in the clear position? Many boards that have them ship in the clear position. Check yuor documentation fo rthe correct position for normal operation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice