Solved Having Trouble Getting My Purchased Webfont To Display

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

theglamguide

Hi guys, thanks for creating a site where I can ask for help for free, what a lifesaver.
Okay so I have purchased a font from myfonts called SamanthaBoldUprightBasic.
I have followed the instructions, which is to say I have done the following:

1. Saved all of the file formats (ttf, eot, woff, woff2, etc etc) into my website files, in the same directory that my css is stored.
  2. Linked to these files as the src url in the CSS stylesheet.
This does not work, I can't view the font on my laptop no matter which browser I use. I have tried F5 to clear the cache.

However, using this method, for some reason I can see the font only when I am on my iphone 6s, on safari, using ios 10. But that's no good for me as I haven't made my site fully responsive to mobiles yet so I'm not bothered what it looks like on a mobile at this current stage (that will be the next goal straight after this lol).

I have also tried the other method they mention, which is to use an @Import line in the beginning of the CSS to reference the font on the myfonts website, which counts how many pageviews I think, and then have referenced the src urls from myfonts.com too.

AND I have tried a mix of the two. When I try mixing or using the second import method, the iphone no longer displays the font.

I have struggled with this for 2 days now and am getting anxious because I have emailed myfonts with no reply and have facebook messaged myfonts with no reply so I have also contacted the font designer but seeing as she sells her fonts directly on her own website (which I only just discovered) I don't know if she will be that keen to help.

Guys I hope one of you out there can help me. I have googled this into oblivion.

Thanks
Steph x

theglamguide

I also I should add that I have defined h1 and h2 properties with font-family:'SamanthaBoldUprightBasic' and the h1 and h2 are not displaying this font apart from on iphone safari.

JiminSA

Jim
Steph, try using a relative url instead of the absolute urls you currently use. i.e. change this:
Code:
  src: url('//theglamguide.com/wp-content/themes/stephstheme/349605_0_0.eot'); /* IE9 Compat Modes */
  src: url('http://theglamguide.com/wp-content/themes/stephstheme/349605_0_0.woff2') format('woff2'), /* Super Modern Browsers */
       url('http://theglamguide.com/wp-content/themes/stephstheme/349605_0_0.woff') format('woff'), /* Pretty Modern Browsers */
       url('http://theglamguide.com/wp-content/themes/stephstheme/349605_0_0.ttf')  format('truetype'); /* Safari, Android, iOS */
to this:
Code:
  src: url('349605_0_0.eot'); /* IE9 Compat Modes */
  src: url('349605_0_0.woff2') format('woff2'), /* Super Modern Browsers */
       url('349605_0_0.woff') format('woff'), /* Pretty Modern Browsers */
       url('349605_0_0.ttf')  format('truetype'); /* Safari, Android, iOS */
This assumes that your css and the font files are contained in the stephstheme folder. If this is not the case (i.e. they are contained in a subfolder e.g. css/) then, that's the problem.;)

theglamguide

Hi JiminSA. Thankyou that does work! That's wierd I don't understand why I wasn't to put the whole URL?

But guess what - all of a sudden the truefonts plugin starts working as my host upgrades the php version. Typical. I've deactivated the plugin though and kept it using the CSS as now I know the css definitely works on my laptop. Still works on my iphone as well. Thankyou very much!

Now I just need to play about with font sizes as it looks tiny! x

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online