1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Having Trouble Installing an ATI AIW 8500

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ehbowen, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ehbowen

ehbowen Thread Starter

I went to some effort to find a computer with an AGP slot and a legitimate copy of Windows XP Pro so that I could install an AIW All-In-Wonder card in it for video capture. It's a Dell Dimension 8250:

The machine has no personal info and it's air-gapped, not on any networks; it's strictly a capture machine only. The refurbisher I bought it from put in a clean install of XP Pro; the original license sticker is still on the case. However, I do not have recovery media; info as to how and where to obtain that would be welcome.

I have installed a couple of mods while I was using it to capture via USB; it now has a Vantec SATA card in a PCI slot with a permanently installed 2 TB drive E: and a hot-swap bay in the hole formerly occupied by the second DVD-RW drive. Today, though, I tried installing a NOS ATI All-In-Wonder 8500 DV graphics card in the AGP slot. It does show a good Dell logo screen when powered up, so the card isn't DOA, but I can't get it to boot up or even to run setup. After a couple of attempts, it displays an error message that startup stalled at checkpoint Vini and that I should contact Dell Technical Support. (I think it's about a decade late for that...;))

I found one suggestion on the Dell forum that sometimes a Vini could be corrected by clearing the NVRAM. Following instructions I powered down and unplugged, removed the coin battery from the motherboard, held down the power switch for a full minute to discharge any remaining potential, then reassembled and rebooted. No change; still had the same issue. I took the AIW card out and reinstalled the original NVidia AGP graphics card. This time, after going into Setup to set the clock, I was able to boot back up.

I think that my issue has to do with the NVidia drivers. The relevant page from the AIW manual says that any previous video card driver has to be uninstalled and that the system needs to be running the "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) driver" before intallation proceeds. I attempted to uninstall the NVidia driver, but that triggered a system reboot and every time the system booted back up it was running the NVidia drivers again.

I can't seem to find a way to force the system to run the specified driver, and in point of fact I don't even know where it is or how to obtain a copy of it. I do have all of the disks for the AIW and I feel confident that if I could exorcise the NVidia driver I could get the new card up and running...as I said, it's definitely not DOA. Can anyone offer suggestions?

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    One thing you may try is to remove the Nvidea card from Device Manager. Do not reboot. Then remove the drivers. Do not reboot. Shut it down, install the new Video card and see if it'll boot.

Good luck.

3. ehbowen

ehbowen Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. It should have worked. But...it's a Dell. What more can I say?

I'm going to check the Dell forums, and also see if a BIOS upgrade is available. Other than that...I'm stuck.

EDIT 2018-04-22 @ 0134: It WAS a BIOS issue after all. The Dell was running the A01 BIOS. When I checked, an updated A04 BIOS was available which specifically addressed issues with bridged AGP cards. I updated the BIOS, uninstalled the NVidia card, and the system booted up normally with the ATI card installed. It looks like it's ready to use now. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Glad you figured it out. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice