1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

having trouble installing win98 on fat32 partition. Need Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by villin86, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. villin86

villin86 Thread Starter

Hey im trying to dual boot with xp and 98. but i only have one hard drive, and ive made 4 partitions. 3 ntfs ( one with xp on it) and one fat32 ( wich i want to put win 98 onto), but when i try to install win98, it doesnt let u choose were to install. so i dont know how to install win 98 onto the drive i have allocated. i am going to use a boot loader called GAG, yet i can only use it once i install win 98. but im having trouble with that. any one know what i should do???????

2. Rache

Rache Banned

With dual booting xp and 98, the latter should go on 1st, then xp.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you get any error messages or anything? Have you tried just letting the installation continue?

Since Win98 setup will not even be able to "see" the NTFS partitions, it gives you no option about where to install because it thinks there is only one choice---your FAT32 partition. I did this exact thing and 98 setup installed into the FAT32 partition just as if there were no other partitions (which is what setup "thinks", if you will pardon the anthropomorphism) because it can't see them.

4. villin86

villin86 Thread Starter

yeh the thing is, i started the setup(by changing boot order so that the cd drive reads first) had 98 in the drive, then it went into the set up. But it said that it had found windows NT, which i dont have, i have XP installed. then it wouldnt install because it wanted to erase the "NT" OS, i dont get it how i dont have NT and never have, yet it says that it sees NT.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

XP is NT 5.1.

Try leaving the 98 CD out of the drive. Boot from a floppy and use fdisk to make a primary DOS partition in the space, as I outlined above.

Switch to your CD-ROM in DOS and type: setup

Setup when run from the CD resists installing on a drive containing NTFS.

6. villin86

villin86 Thread Starter

ok
    so ill delete the partition which i made for it, and then run a boot disk (you will have to tell me how to make one of these) then format the free space ( i take it its called Raw) then install ??

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yeh.

Make a boot disk by running this program:
    http://www.24by7.ca/files/boot98se.exe

Boot into XP. Right-click My Computer, Manage. Click on Disk Management.
    Right-click the new partition and delete it.

Put in the boot floppy and restart. You will boot from the floppy.

At the A: prompt, type: fdisk

At all points when asked about large drive support, choose "Yes" by leaving the default "Y" answer.

Create a new primary DOS partition in the unallocated space.

Reboot on the floppy again after leaving fdisk and format C: (your new partition).

Change directories to your CD-ROM (verify that you are there by typing Dir to get a listing of contents). If you see setup.exe, you are there.

Type: setup

Follow the prompts. You will get a warning at some point about a disk cache. Continue anyway with setup but remove the floppy.

When you are all done installing 98, your machine will boot into 98 just like there is nothing else on the drive.

Boot from the GAG floppy (the directions for which you have read previously, of course) and set up your dual boot.

8. villin86

villin86 Thread Starter

when trying to format new c drive, comes up with message saying " format not supported on drive c" what do i do

9. villin86

villin86 Thread Starter

its ok i found out what to do
    thanx heaps elvandil

10. villin86

villin86 Thread Starter

wait another problem
    when it startss to colect info for the install of win 98, it comes up with an error sayin "setup cannot find enough disc space to install windows 98 setup will quit. free some disc space and run setup again.

you need at least 205 mega bites 3 to install windows 98

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

That message usually appears when the drive is unformatted.

Pop in the floppy and format C:. You will be able to tell that it is not your XP C: drive but the Win98 C: drive by the size. But the format command won't see the NTFS volume anyway.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you don't use a 3rd party boot manager to hide partitions, the C: drive must be FAT32 for W98 to install. Even though you install it elsewhere, the boot files are on the bootable partition.

13. villin86

villin86 Thread Starter

so should i install the boot loader and then install windows??????

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

That depends what you mean by the C: drive. I have both XP and 98 on their own C: drives on the same disk. XP sees its installation drive as C: as does Windows 98. But the FAT32 drive is labelled W: by XP. So I can access the Win98 partition through XP but not the NTFS partition from 98 (well, I can access all the NTFS partitions except the XP system partition, C:, because I have the NTFS drivers installed in 98, but usually you can't). But both OS's think they are installed on the C: drive.

No. You shouldn't install the boot loader until you get 98 installed. There are a few restarts before that finishes and you would need to choose an OS each time. But once the drive is formatted, GAG can be used. It needs to have a formatted drive to point to, however.

Install 98 on the FAT32 C: drive and then load GAG.

How far have you gotten, villin86?

15. RonK

RonK

Before doing it this way make sure you backup any important data on your XP installation.
    Win98 should be on the first partition as John has stated.
    I have found that the best way to Dual Boot with Win98 and XP is to use the Win98 Startup disk and use Fdisk to delete all partitions including any Non-Dos partitions.
    Create 2 partitions with Fdisk.
    After you finish with Fdisk, Restart the computer with the Win98 Startup disk and Format the First partition.

Install Win98 on the C drive (That is the default destination during setup).

After Win98 installation is complete, Boot your computer with the cdrom as the First Boot Device (You have to go into the Bios settings to select that).Make sure the XP cd is in the drive. You can now install XP. (As I mentioned before - make sure you have important data backed up because the new XP installation will cause all data to be lost).

XP installation will find the 2 partitions that you previously created. Select the Unpartitoned Space to install XP.

XP will create it's own boot menu. You don't need any other boot manager etc.

I am suggesting to do it this way because it is the best way to do it. You can install Win98 after XP is installed but I have run into stability problems doing it that way.

One question I should ask - What size is your hard drive ?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice